Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price Quote Help

Question Price Quote Help

I have a customer who needs (80) 4" x 6" pieces of plastic with two holes drilled on left & right sides. I will be engraving 3 characters on them & the letters must be 2" high. Does $6.50 each sound reasonable?

You didn't specify the plastic, nor who is providing it. That would be a great price for you if they provided the plastic, and still pretty good if your
    cost for the plastic works out to less than a dollar each.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Sorry, yes I would be buying the plastic stock. Typical 1/16" thick stock, blue/white.

I would be closer to $12 each on those.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I would be closer to $12 each on those.
    Would be good work if you could get it. I would be tickled to get them at $6.50 in 1/16" acrylic right now.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bratton View Post
    Would be good work if you could get it. I would be tickled to get them at $6.50 in 1/16" acrylic right now.
    I agree, in better times maybe, but now days more than that they will shop around and get a better deal elsewhere. I would charge $12 for a few, but not for that quantity unless I was really busy and didn't really need the work.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Just to verify, it would be Rowmark plastic not acrylic. I will probably be doing a few other sizes as well. I'm pretty sure the customer has contacted other engravers in the area. I would like the job but I also want to get a fair price and not "low-ball it" as the saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    Just to verify, it would be Rowmark plastic not acrylic. I will probably be doing a few other sizes as well. I'm pretty sure the customer has contacted other engravers in the area. I would like the job but I also want to get a fair price and not "low-ball it" as the saying goes.
    Well, if you used something like Laser Max at about .05 a square inch plus freight, your going to have over $1.20 a piece in the material. So, lets say $1.50 each x 80 that's going to be $120.00. At 6.50 each that's $520.00 or $400.00 to cover your labor and overhead. Gosh, I would still do it in my shop because I think I could probably do it in a couple of hours. If my overhead was $50, that's still $175 an hour. Beats flippin burgers for sure. (some of your competition might take it at $60 an hour for the machine time)
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Yeah, I think I will quote the customer that price. Also have to take into account that I have to mask the sheets of plastic too.

You are working for $0.25 per square inch. That means you would do a 1 x 3 for $.75 or a 2 x 4 for $2.00. I am getting commercial re-orders at $0.50 per square inch and wholesale to a sign shop at $0.40 per square inch.

My 1 x 3"s, of which there are many, are a minimum of $2.50. I do bevel the edges for that price.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thats about the same squares as a desk name plate (2 x 10). There are office supply place around here that will do those for $7 or $8 bucks apiece, one at a time for regular customers. So yeah I would do 80 for $6.50 each or maybe a little less if it was going to lead to more. If the detail was not super fine to speed things up I would use a lower resolution and my 2.5 lense for better coverage (less chance of banding with the lower res.). You will have to consider the lay and design. I buy laser max in 12 x 24 sheets which would be 9 peices. If it was all text with a lot of gaps it may not take long, maybe 15 - 20 minutes per sheet for example. If they wanted a border around the text and there was a lot of detail (if you had to use 500 dpi) raster time would go way up to maybe 30 minutes. At 9 sheets it could take 4.5 hrs. Open the door and do a test run. Lay out one row horizonal, which should take longer that a vertical only lay out and see how long it takes.
    Al

40W MII W/Rotor
    Camaster Stinger III, Vectric Aspire
    Back up Vinyl cutter
    Roland 54" print/cut
    Laminator
    Strip heater
    Lasermaster 8.5, LXI Master Plus, Corel X4, Photograv, design shop pro
    Knight DC16, DK3 Mug Press, Hix HD400D, GX7000
    Embroidery
    Hot stamping

Blog Entries
    No need to do a test run with the door open... the ULS drivers give a pretty darn accurate estimation of run time with the click of a mouse (though you may have to wait a couple of minutes for it to run the simulation).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

How do you do run a estimated run time with the ULS driver?
    Chuck
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    ULS M-360 50 Watt, Corel X3, Signlab 7.1, Photograv 2.0, Adobe CS3, Summa D-60, Sandblasting (for engraving Granite Monuments/Memorials)

Blog Entries
    In the design view tab, there are 5 buttons on the right-hand middle side of the screen... one should be labeled "Estimate" or something of that nature. It takes some percentage of actual time to run, like 5% of actual... waiting 30 seconds for it to estimate a 10 minute run is worth it.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I must not have it. Can not find it.
    Chuck
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    ULS M-360 50 Watt, Corel X3, Signlab 7.1, Photograv 2.0, Adobe CS3, Summa D-60, Sandblasting (for engraving Granite Monuments/Memorials)