Thread: have to finish maple trim...

have to finish maple trim...

we have about 2500 linear feet of 3" wide maple trim that is unfinished. we want to put a finish (no stain, just poly or something) on it before we install it.

what's the best way to do this? Spray it? I have a compressor but no spray gear right now. Can you spray poly like Minwax? That's what I'm most familiar with.

Spraying would be the best option for you, being you already have a compressor. I'd get a hvlp gun to start with, you dont have to spend alot of money to get one either.

I'd recemmond a waterborne finish if you are going to spray, ck target finishes, they would have a couple that would work great for trim, and durable besides.

+1 on spraying a waterborne finish. They're friendlier to spray and they won't yellow as much as oilbased finishes do.

Try the Target line. Pricey, but you won't regret it when you see how nice it comes out.

Blog Entries
    Try Varathane Diamond Floor finish. It is a water based poly that really turns out nice. Very little raised grain and no yellowing.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ditch the poly all together.

Spray either shellac (which you will likely need to do outside for that much since it is alcohol base) or polycrylic. Polycylic is about the only minwax product I use anymore. It isn't as durable as some of the better acrylic waterbourne finishes but plenty for trim and the like.

I like the look shellac gives maple. I think I would probably just spray on Bullseye shellac.

How big is your compressor? If it isn't big you may want to look into renting a HVLP turbine for a weekend or buy one.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

compressor is 26gal, 2hp. I don't mind buying a gun for it, but really need to get a gun and finish that I can buy locally (as opposed to ordering online and waiting for shipping.. trying to do it this weekend).. we plan on doing it outside on sawhorses..

Zinseer bullseye shellac in original or amber.

I have sprayed a lot of shellac. It doesn't have the durablility of say a conversion varnish but how often are you walking on your trim?

Edit: I like the devillbis finishline guns. Top cup is easy to handle and clean and does a fine job. A quality piece at a decent price. You will give that compressor a work out. HVLP is high volume for a reason. I have a 40 gallon tank and a bunch of air line and I kick my compressor on in about 70 seconds of spraying.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Chritz; 05-20-2010 at 11:00 PM.
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I am going to talk to some people about some stuff from ML Campbell called Magnamax which they recommended and I can pick it up tomorrow.. http://mlcampbell.com/products/categ...lyzed/magnamax

I don't mind if the compressor gets a workout.. better it than me (can't imagine brushing it all on!!) I'll take a look at the devilbis

thanks for the suggestions all

eric give me call

jim

hey Jim, sorry I didn't get a chance to call you.. I've been slammed this weekend trying to help a family member get their house ready to move in.

It endedup being more than 2500 linear feet.. lots more. Took all day. I got a Husky HVLP gun from Home Depot (the nicer $100 one).. I am quite sure there are better guns out there, but this thing wasn't half bad.. actually worked like a charm, and comes with 2 tips, 2 size canisters, a carry case and cleaning kit which is helpful. Used the Magnamax satin pre-cat lacquer.. is mixed at the distributor when you buy it and has a shelf life of 120 days I believe. Sprayed great and dried really fast. Though it took forever to do it all, I had to keep reminding myself how long it would have taken with a brush!!

oh, forgot to add, my 26 gallon compressor worked perfectly on it.. I was doing maybe 40-50% duty and it had the reserve to keep from cutting on and off all the time.

that is pretty much what i would have told you, we used the magnamax several years the mlc regular laquers will do the same!