Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: # 8

Beautiful bowl, Cathy! Love the azurite!

You've given me the push to try it myself.

Very nice Cathy. What's your technique for the inlay?

John

Very nice Cathy.

I really like the inlay.

Toney

No crtiques here either. Very nice work, the blue inlay really caught my eye but when you turned it over you really got my attention. Complete success on this piece Cathy.

Quote Originally Posted by John W Dixon View Post
    Very nice Cathy. What's your technique for the inlay?

John
    John - I cut a groove with my nice Ci4 easy detailer - haven't measured, but probably 1/8" or so deep. Put on a coat of sanding sealer, so the super glue won't stain the wood (it won't show as much on walnut, but it's really bad on cherry - DAMHIKT).

Put enough of the stone (I use "fine" grade, because I had a lot of trouble with "medium" - I think that would work better in a larger groove or crack) to fill the groove, then carefully drizzle thin CA over it. Let it dry a little while, then fill in any obvious gaps.

Then I put it back on the lathe and use a carbide tool (ci2 or 3 for me) to cut it down fairly close to level with the surface. At that point, you'll have some gaps, so put on more sanding sealer, and do it again.

Eventually when I have everything pretty close to filled in and level, I put on another coat of sanding sealer (it keeps getting scraped away) I put a coat of thick superglue on top and smooth it out with a finger (some people might be smart enough to wear a glove while doing this) to fill in any little tiny voids.

Sand. And do this all at one sitting, because it will get very hard if you wait too long, and be much more difficult to cut down.

Finish as usual.

I used epoxy in the past, but I was told it can "creep" over time, so I don't now.

That's just what I do, I expect others do it differently.

I think it looks very nice. Love the inlay and the detail work.

Great work. I love the color and rim treatment... Both add to the overall appeal of the bowl.