Thread: First Project Posting

First Project Posting

Hello Everyone - I have not posted a project before and thought this was a good opportunity. I recently finished the attached cradle for our nephew and his wife for their first child. I used some wide cherry (11"+) that I have had for a long time for the end panels. The design was based on the combination of a couple of different plans I have seen and the dimensions were sized around a 15x33 mattress that we found on the web. The other standard size is 18x36 but I preferred the smaller cradle. Because I will most likely do more of these (big family) I did do a simple cutlist spread sheet that I would be happy to share if anyone is interested.

Joinery consisted of a various types of mortise and tenon. The slats were mortised into the rails and the rails were attached to the panels with through tenons (rounded) with a maple wedge. The legs were mortised and pegged into the feet. We had to transport the cradle from Charlotte to Pittsburgh so I opted for a knock-down design on the base, attaching the stretcher to the legs with tusk tenons.

For the finish I used BLO and clear shellac (zinser). I thought about putting a couple of coats of wiping varnish as a top coat but I did not want the smell. Because of the flash, the picture is little lighter than the actual piece.

I do enjoy looking at all of the projects posted as they are a good source of ideas/inspiration, so I thought it was only fair that I finally post something. Also, doing this project got me to go through my stack of cherry (which I have had for more than 10 years) and started me thinking about a new kitchen table that my wife has been asking for. Need to finish a couple of stickley style wall shelves first, which I will post when complete.

Thanks for looking and any questions and critiques are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great Jim. I am about to start on one myself that's a little larger for my sister in law who is expecting in 7 months. Trying to do it as close to a full size crib as I can get away with so it will double as crib/cradle. How long did it take you?
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

Hi Joe - you could be right about the size. I am hoping that they will get 4-6 months out of it. As far as the time, it took me about 8 weeks on weekends and a few weeknights. I am thinking that I could the next one in about half the time since I have made all of the design decisions. Because I used BLO and shellac, I was able to do the entire finishing schedule in one day, which was nice. Good luck.

cut list please

Jim, looks great, yes if you could post the cut list that would be great. Dont need one right now but I am sure (hoping) in the future I will. Thanks

Jim, looks great & well done. It's always great to see projects like this for a first-born child. Too bad babies grow so fast, but they will treasure this for a long time.

Beautiful work Jim, a future heirloom.
    Please help support the Creek.

During the middle ages they celebrated the end of the plague with wine and orgies. Does anyone know if there is anything planned when this one ends?

---

I like it. Great job!
    One good turn deserves another

Blog Entries
    Great stuff. A treasured hand-me-down for your kids, kids, kids.
    Take me to the hotel - Baggage gone, oh well . . .

Nice work, Jim. Some beautiful cherry, and great job on the joinery!

Very very nice. Wll be cherished I am sure.

I really like it... nice craftsman style with a more modern look to it..