Thread: Finish recomendation please

Blog Entries

Finish recomendation please

I am getting ready to build a table for my Fiance. The Table is a display table for a Bonsai Tree. It will be out of Sapele and hard maple.

I have been thinking about this and I need to use a finish that will do a good job of protecting against water. The Bonsai gets watered daily.

I have used waterlox a few times but I am getting tired of throwing away $10+ worth of finish when I don't use the last 3rd of the can in time.

I used and liked General arm-r-seal on a couple tables for a friend and I like the way they turned out and the durability seems to be there as well.

Both the sepele and the maple have some good figure in them so I would really like something that will bring out the figure nicely.

Any suggestions?
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Use this to save your left over Waterlox.

McFeelys has the best price that I've seen.

I recommend Waterlox Original.

Ditto on the Bloxygen.

OR store the left over Waterlox in a smaller container. Air trapped in the can is the problem...
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

The big three varnishes for brush or wipe on are Waterlox, Behlen's rockhard and P & L #38. Each has a slightly different look and final characteristics but all are excellent finishes.

I rarely use a wipe on finish but keep a can of Behlen's around for when I do.

Something to take the air out of the can helps a lot I hear. Marbles dropped in take up the space. I thought about unhooking the line to the CO2 for my home brew kegs and using that like Bloxogen.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    Looks Like I am on the right track with waterlox, I have to say I do like the results I have gotten with it and finishing it off with a coat of wax for that satin sheen. I picked up a can of Bloxygen with the last can of waterlox I bought... someone threw it away,I guess they thought it was empty . nothing like throwing away $10 worth of air...

I tried the marble trick with limited success.

I may have to try P&L or the rockhard as the price seems considerably less, especially sense Waterlox price jumped.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Not to change the thread, but how long does Waterlox usually/approximately last. I am using some for the first time on a dresser top.

In the can or on the project?

In can as long as air doesn't get to it. on the project it will last for a very long time...
    It is a top notch high quality varnish.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

you guys could always just break it down into quarts, that's what i do. unless you're doing really small boxes or some such you're gonna tend to use at least a quart for two coats anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Scott Holmes View Post
    In the can or on the project?

In can as long as air doesn't get to it. on the project it will last for a very long time...
    It is a top notch high quality varnish.
    Thanks for the reply Scott, I was asking about in the can. I read up about it is the air getting to it, but was curious if it would last a month or two or more like a year.

if there's air in the can, more like a few days, tops, if the can isn't full. if the can is full and unopened it should last indefinitely. hence the marbles and co2 and breaking down into smaller cans and anything else you can do to keep the cans 'full' once they're opened. if you start with quarts and just use it all when you open it, not a concern.