Thread: Finished my TV stand!

Smile Finished my TV stand!

Hey folks. I upgraded to a flatscreen and decided it was time to retire my old, mostly particleboard TV stand! I designed this to slide into a recessed spot in my apartment so it almost looked built-in. I lucked out too... if it was 1/8" wider it wouldn't have fit! My favorite parts are that the top is one 16+" wide board and the bottom piece that looks like a piece of moulding opens up to a drawer! I used curly maple for the drawer sides for some contrast with the dark-stained exterior. I wasn't 100% thrilled with the color (used a combination of a few general gel stains represented more accurately in the second pic) but my girlfriend has been spending way too much time looking through Pottery Barn catalogs and insisted we go dark with the finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice use of space! I especially like the creative 'hidden' drawer at the bottom. You realize of course that when you move, your next place will have to have an alcove with the exact same dimensions

-Steve

I love the hidden drawer. Great work.

Blog Entries
    It looks nice and fits right into that space. The hidden drawer is a nice feature. It appears that the door has glass in it where do you electronics get rid of the heat they make?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Johnson View Post
    I love the hidden drawer. Great work.

Smart feature of otherwise unused space. I like the use of heavy duty glides as well. The bearing make open quite smoothly I'll bet.

Great design, I also love the lower drawer!

Thanks for the kind words folks! I have plexiglass in the door over the cable box, but the back behind there is open so there should be ventilation and it a few inches out from the wall. Also, it was designed as a stand that could be used on its own, but it's sized just right to fit in that alcove. But by the time I move out of this place, I'll probably want to build something different!

One more vote for the lower drawer. Great design and forethought!

John

Blog Entries
    Cool fit, very nice look and I really like the use of the lower area. I'm always looking for reasonable ways to use normally unused space.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

10. AWESOME! Really a nice outfit. Great workmanship!

Very nice. The hidden drawer is a great idea.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney