Thread: veneer and vac press

veneer and vac press

Anyone in the mid Michigan area with a vacuum press? I would really like to try one hands on before purchasing one.

I have a project currently where I need a set of end shelves similar to the line drawing below. Only these are upper shelves 12" deep, 42" tall by 18" wide and 14" wide.

I have a great source for hickory hardwood and had planed on doing them out of solid wood (cheaper than plywood except labor) with a sliding dovetail along the back section but this may be an good time to pick up a vacuum press.

I was looking at a V2 system from Joewoodworker as I have a decent compressor and it appears to do anything I would need. Up until now any veneer work was cauls and clamps.

Maybe I should just order up and make up some panels on 1/2" BB and go to town. Isn't that the best way to learn anyway? A sheet of plywood would be cheaper for this one project but who can turn down new tools?

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I've been very happy with my V2 system, as have a lot of folks. I say go for it if you can't find a local ww'er who has one.

Joe,
    My only warning is that once you start using highly figured veneers on substrates, it will become an addiction, and a veneer press only makes the slippery slope slide faster!!
    Good luck.

Jim

Joe,

If you think you'll want to veneer but are unsure if it's as easy as some have said, just go ahead and get a system because it is.

I cobbled together an excellent system myself from a used, but high quality vacuum pump (a lucky find), bags I made from sheet vinyl (not difficult), and scrap automotive 1/4" i.d. hosing; particle board for the caul, and masonite and some plastic sheet completed the setup and I never looked back.