Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you know what a drop cord is?

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    Maybe its my manufacturing background, but a drop cord is attached permanently at one end and drops down from the ceiling. An extension cord has a male plug at one end and a female at the other.
    Current capacity (as in wire gauge) is immaterial to the nomenclature.

Mike in Michigan
    Exactly the same where I was born and raised here in east Texas. Course my mother was born deep in the country here, and my father in MN so I can use you-uns, y'all, or you guys interchangeably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I have always heard an extension cord called a drop cord with no light. I had never heard of a drop light.
    +1 (from a Louisiana background)
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall View Post
    I can use you-uns, y'all, or you guys interchangeably.
    That's something to be proud of, Ernie. I had not actually heard anyone say "you-uns" until I met my SIL, Brender (spelled Brenda). Of course, she also has beer and 'mater juice for breakfast.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Yep, where I grew up in SC we called 'em drop cords too, and drop lights. Though I tend to agree that once a light is dropped, it no longer "lights" so why is it called a "drop light"? Now that I'm older and wiser however, things are making more sense. There's new information regarding so-called "light" bulbs. For your own education, try this link: http://www.btinternet.com/~homepage/dark.htm

My dad called it a drop cord so much when I was younger, that when I went to work with him as a teenager and a guy at his shop asked for an extension cord, I didn't know what he meant.

A drop light is an extension cord with the light bulb on it.

Southern talk at it's best. Just like pecan and pecon.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

That's all silly talk.

Extension cable and inspection lamp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    That's something to be proud of, Ernie. I had not actually heard anyone say "you-uns" until I met my SIL, Brender (spelled Brenda). Of course, she also has beer and 'mater juice for breakfast.
    That proves the theory that dropped letters never go away; they just show up in another part of the country. When Norm says he pahked his truck, the R ends up on the end of your SIL's name, thus Brender.