Thread: Vertical Panel Cutting Bits Any Good?

Vertical Panel Cutting Bits Any Good?

I'm in a bind. This is my first attempt at making cabinetry, and I have the carcass and face frame assembled, and now I'm onto the doors. However, when looking for panel cutting bits, I realized that I am under-equipped for the use of a horizontal bit because my router set up doesn't have variable speed (Milwaukee 2 1/4 HP combo set). So, I thought I'd try a Freud vertical cutting bit, as I have a pretty good table, and can make an aux. fence that is high enough. Do you think this would work well in 3/4" Poplar, or am I just kidding myself, and should breakdown and get a router with variable speed and more power? Any other suggestion that would get me to the end result with all my fingers and a decent looking door?

A friend used one of those vertical bits with good success. He built a horizontal table for router so he could still run panels flat instead of standing up.

Never used one but you can get extension cord things that have variable speed control for router.

I've heard those can cause your router to burn out more quickly, is that true?

I have used one with a Porter Cable 690 router without any problems. I took multiple passes to get to the final profile.

Part of the problem, getting good cuttings with this bit, is work holding.
    The panel slams itself against the fence roughing up the cut and making lots of noise. So take light cuts and firm up your fixturing.
    Vibration is your enemy in Routerdom.

Blog Entries
    If you have the 2-1/4HP 5616, you have variable speed and soft-start. If you have the 1-3/4HP 5615 you don't. At first I thought you were asking about a panel cutter which would spin fine in either unit. I realize you are talking about a raised-panel bit which would be hard on the 5615 but spin fine in the 5616 as long as you aren't doing 20 panels in a row.

A 3+ unit would be a better choice but that is an investment only you can decide that you want to make now or not. I run a 3-1/2HP 5615 in a PRL in the table and smile every time I use it. My dad runs a 2-1/4HP Triton and it has done everything he has ever asked of it but, I don't think he has ever cut a raised panel. Going to the vertical bit presents its own set of challenges as far as material control.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler