Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G1023RL

Grizzly G1023RL

I’m a newcomer to woodworking and after alot of research and reading tool reviews here and at other sites I had decided on the new Grizzly model G1023rl. I ordered it back in March and was told that it was on backorder until May 11. I called Grizzly on May 11 to check on the status of my order and was told the back order “approximate delivery date” was pushed back to June 25!! Very frustrating!! I’ve been eagerly awaiting the arrival of my saw so I can get started on my new hobby. I called Grizzly customer service to see if they would work with me on the price of my second choice the G0690 scince they couldn’t deliver on the first choice and I’m tired of waiting. The G0690 is actually more money with slightly less in the way of features. The reason the G1023rl was my first choice was the encapsulated blade for dust collection and the single drive belt system. I’m frustrated and wondering if anyone out there has any experience in this kind of situation and could give me some tips on how to deal with Grizzly. Thanks.
    -- steve

A good dust collection system on a cabinet saw is of a bit of benefit, though it still won't get all the dust out of the air unless you have an overhead dust collector. The single belt drive system is of zero benefit to the user since the "old fashioned" three belt system works perfectly well and has since it was put on the Unisaw in the late 30's.

The "feature" to pay attention to is the design and operation of the riving knife. How easy is it to remove and more importantly how easy to install. Are there alterative blades that deal with both full kerf and thin kerf blades?

Join the club. I ordered mine in February. I'm hoping the upgrades are worth the wait.

Blog Entries
    I would say patience is a virtue here. This is a proven performer for Grizzly with many, many satisfied owners. I wouldn't change horses in the middle of the stream due to anxiousness. Of course this is easy to say when you are not the one waiting.

However, a couple months of delay for a saw you will probably have for the rest of your life is not a reason to trash all your research and decision making efforts that led you to this point IMHO. Once I have decided on what I want, that is pretty much what I want. When I deviate, I am usually unhappy.

As an example in my life right now; A few years ago I accepted a car with a different trim package than I originally wanted rather than wait 30 days for another vehicle to be delivered. I have regretted that decision ever since.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-12-2010 at 9:05 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I am with Glen on this one. Be patient with Grizzly and you will be rewarded with exactly what you want, a real good saw at a great price too. To change courses now would only add to your anxiety over the matter. You've done your homework so trust yourself on the decision.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Another vote for Glenn on this one, especially when it is a hobby situation and not a customers waiting business decision. I would wait for the saw you researched and want, however you could try working a deal with an accessory or something else you were looking at.

Perfection takes time, be patient...

I went and bought a Jet JTAS10 to play with while I was waiting for the Grizzly. It has cured my temptation to go for the 690...........for now.

I know it's a pain to wait when you decide on the saw to get, but it's not available. If you haven't seen the other threads on this saw, it is brand new, has not made it to the states yet. Last word from Shiraz, owner of Grizzly tools, the original hold up was getting the inspection people there from UL to certify it. I haven't heard if that ever happened or not. They may still be waiting.
    I have the 691 and love it. There are pluses and minuses between it and the 1023R series. I don't think I would have changed what I purchased even if both had been available, but different people want different features. That's why there are different models to choose from. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Sitting around with nothing just waiting to start would be very tough for me. I'd be tempted to buy something basic used on craigslist with the intent of reselling it for the same price when your Griz arrives. I've been in situations in other hobbies where the date keeps getting pushed back and before you know it it's 6 months or more of pushing back.

I know how impatient I am waiting for something I ordered, so I feel for you. On the other hand, once I actually have the item all that worrying and stressing is instantly forgotten.

I bought the previous model G1023(SLW) a little over a year ago. It's rock solid and I love it, but do wish I'd waited a little longer for the new one with the riving knife.

For the money, I don't think you'll find a better saw. I'd wait it out if I were you.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Newman View Post
    I’m a newcomer to woodworking and after alot of research and reading tool reviews here and at other sites I had decided on the new Grizzly model G1023rl. I ordered it back in March and was told that it was on backorder until May 11. I called Grizzly on May 11 to check on the status of my order and was told the back order “approximate delivery date” was pushed back to June 25!! Very frustrating!! I’ve been eagerly awaiting the arrival of my saw so I can get started on my new hobby. I called Grizzly customer service to see if they would work with me on the price of my second choice the G0690 scince they couldn’t deliver on the first choice and I’m tired of waiting. The G0690 is actually more money with slightly less in the way of features. The reason the G1023rl was my first choice was the encapsulated blade for dust collection and the single drive belt system. I’m frustrated and wondering if anyone out there has any experience in this kind of situation and could give me some tips on how to deal with Grizzly. Thanks.
    -- steve

Thanks to everyone for the input. I decided to change my order to the G0690. I'll be picking it up from ups at the end of the week.

FWIW, I like the G0690. Not sure why they're offering 2 such similar saws so closely priced. The thing I liked about the G0690 when I was shopping is that it has the options to upgrade the extension wings with a router table and a sliding table.

Wood Magazine did a review of cabinet saws in May and they voted the G0690 (series) the best value. Got top marks for rip fence and the ease of the swapping between the splitter/knife.

Congrats.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 05-18-2010 at 3:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    FWIW, I like the G0690. Not sure why they're offering 2 such similar saws so closely priced. .

I am surprised they didn't give the 690 all of the nice/new features (other thand the RK) and move it up market a little and leave the 1023 a more basic model.

G0690 is absolutely great saw and you will not regret buying it. I owe this forum my review (and some pictures of sawdust) but I am have been either busy or lazy to do it so far !

I would like to tell you a few things about this saw that I did not like, but of course, they don't bother me as much as I love and enjoy the rest of the saw.

1) The throat plate is crappy. Very difficult to keep at table top level. I keep it below the level. No big issue for big stock, but for small stock (something smaller than the throat plate) it is problem. But I use crosscut slade for that small pieces.

2) Miter guage is not great. I think Grizzly could have done a better job here. Very difficult to calibrate.

3) The 45 degree and 90 degree stop nuts are very hard to reach. Hopefully we need to touch them only once !

4) I am not happy with the fence face plates. They are plastic and not dead straight. I think they should be made of laminated baltic birch or phenolic or something like that. Some genius on this forum made them out of corian which I think is brilliant idea. I am planning to do the same (hopefully in this life ).

5) There are no stops at the both ends of front fence rail. So if you are not careful and slide the fence too much to right or left, you can easily pass the end point and drop the fence on the floor. I don't know if this normal with all saw fences (this is my first cabinet saw). But this is really simple thing and saw makers should think about it.

6) Although mounting and dismounting of riving knife/splitter is very easy, you can't take throat plate out without unmounting the RK/splitter, which essentially means you can't change blades without unmounting RK/splitter. This is due to the fact that RK/splitter mount is on the trunion so they move up and down with the blade. Again, I don't know if this is normal with all the cabinet saws. But I find it annoying at times !

Other than these little nick nacks, the saw is piece of work. The cuts are accurate. The fence is awsome ! massive ! The 3HP motor gives plenty of power. This saw really makes me feel like a man ! I am sure it will make you feel the same !

It does not have dust shroud like 1023R, but I don't really miss it. I personally think instead of bothering with the dust shroud, if the saw makers offered a blade guard with dust collection, that would be truly helpful. Because in the cabinet saws, dust that really bothers you comes from above the blade and not under the blade. I don't know why the saw makers don't get it !

One advantage that the new Jet Deluxe Xacta line has over the new Grizzly line equiped with riving knives, is that the jet splitter IS a riving knife. On the Grizzly it's one or the other. The Jet/Powermatic allows you to use the blade guard and riving knife at the same time. There is a drawerback in that the stock Jet riving knife, like the one on the Powermatic PM2000, is taller than the blade which forces you to purchase the optional low profile knife for non through cuts. Also it appears that the fence on the Jet, which is also the same one used on the PM2000, is a much higher quality fence.
    Of course the Powermatic/Grizzly/Jet are at three different price points some some differences are expected. I'm trying to decide if those differences are worth the extra $$$.