Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I really need a Hammer-drill?

This is intriguing! Can you actually buy non-hammer (corded) drills in the US?
    Just about all drills here (in Malta) have a hammer switch. I do have one no-name non hammer drill which I bought recently in a clearance sale for 10 euros ( $11) purely as a real emergency and disposable tool.

However anything for over $25 is a hammer drill, almost by definition.

Sure, here's a sampling from Milwaukee;

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...2f8+in.+Drills

I think they are indispensable if you live in a concrete home but...
    When I was visiting a friend in MA we opened a hole in concrete with a regular drill and a masonry bit and sprayed WD40 on the bit/ in the hole. It worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip random Home Depot shopper!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    Surprised to hear that. I grew up in an all brick house. All we ever used, cause all we ever had, were star bits. Never had a problem, and never heard about neighbors having problems. The house was built in the 1940's. Maybe bricks back then were not the same as ones used today.
    You are right. The brick can't crack if there is no where for it to crack to. I could see breaking one if it were loose, but in a wall your chances are slim.

Home Depot sells a 1/2 inch Ryobi corded hammer drill for like $60, which actually I've been pretty impressed with. Every other hand-tool I own is DeWalt or Bosch. I've stirred thinset for 3 whole-house tile jobs, 6000 sq ft, and installed 5 pool fences (about 40 concrete anchors each fence), it takes a beating and I don't have any complaints. It's ALWAYS good to have one "beefy" drill around IMO. But don't rent one!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Do I really need a Hammer-drill?

Yes!

+1 to all the comments above about why having a hammer drill &/or a "beefy" (1/2") drill around is a good thing.

IMO - it's akin to having an 18ga air stapler around.

It's something you'd never seem to have any use for until the day comes that you need it for one or two quick things.

After using it, you'll find yourself looking for things to do with it - simply because it works so well and so easy.

Then, after having it for a year, when someone else asks - "Do I really need a hammer drill (or an 18 ga stapler)?"

You can chime in about how you can't imagine life w/out it!

To me, this is one of those instances that is screaming for a cheap Harbor Freight hammer drill. Find it on sale and use a coupon and you're probably under $20.

I've had mine for years and use it maybe one or twice a year. They're great.

-Brian

I have a brick and concrete house and I'd be lost without my Hilti TE22.
    Paid for itself a hundred times over..

They are without a doubt THE answer to drilling masonary. So fast, in fact, that you want to drill a few more holes just to get your money's worth.
    Mike Harrison

I bought a 3/8 hammer drill a few years back. It also servers as a regular drill. The additional cost was minimal since I was already in need of a drill. I have used it many times as a hammer drill because my garage is completely made of block. What it didn’t help me with was chopping a 2 1/2 hole thru the basement hall and then one into the side of the garage to add electric. Amazon has one for 35.00 +/- shipping and possible tax.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...sim/8685595-20

Living in a cinder block home, I can't imagine living without one. I once melted several drill bits trying to drill into a 30yo concrete ceiling with a masonry bit and a conventional drill. Still have nightmares over that one.

If you'll rarely use it, the HF option may make a lot of sense. If you live in a cinder block home, buy one.

Blog Entries
    Don,

I see you live in Rockville, MD.

I live not too far from you in Ashburn, VA (Near the Dulles Airport).

You can borrow my Rotary Hammer and Bits if you need to.

A Rotary Hammer is a great tool for any kind of masonary. If its soft you can drill slow and if it's something like concrete it can handle that too at full speed.

PHM

My son lives in Chantilly, also near Dulles. I think I'd like to try my DeWalt first, but if it looks like it's a bummer, I may be making a trip to Ashburn.