Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking at new chuck

looking at new chuck

Im looking at getting a new chuck , 5 1/2 vicmarc or the 4 1/2 oneway stronghold. I want to know our input on these . Thanks in advance

I have 2 oneway strongholds and I feel its the best chuck on the market. just my opinion they are well worth the money.
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"

I have used both.

Personally I prefer the Vicmarc. I like the Vicmarc jaws better then the Oneway and I also like the allen wrench set-up better then the geared wrench. Although I have broken the Vicmarc allen wrench handle, and I don't think that would ever be a problem with the Oneway. None the less, I find the Vicmarc easier to operate. I've also found the Oneway to have a little more play in the mechanism then the Vicmarc.

Just my experiences. Others may differ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I have the Oneway Stronghold. No problem with it. David

I have used my stronghold for a dozen years, done lots of work with it and is still as good as new, there's no chuck with a better grip than the stronghold IMO
    Have fun and take care

Lewistown, Montana on the banks of Big Spring Creek.
    I have the Vicmarc 5 1/2 and love it. No complaints at all.

Randy

Vicmarc

I love the Vicmarc. It's built like a tank, it's low maintenance, and I really like the dovetail jaws.

But I don't think you could go wrong with either. I think your decision should also be based on which chuck has jaw sets you think you could use most effectively.

Hutch

For gripping a tenon, the ribbed jaws on the Oneway might have a slight edge. I prefer the dove tailed jaws on the Vicmark. There is a reason the Dove tail joint is used so much in flat work.

robo hippy

Love my Vic's. Built strong and love the dovetail jaws.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I have four Vicmarc's. If I bought another chuck it would be a Vicmarc.

i'm pretty new to turning and asked the same questions in october. Bought a Stronghold with the dovetailed jaws that are available and love it. Have not had ANY bowls come out of the dovetailed jaws. Some of the blanks are 40 lbs or more. The system has functioned flawlessly and clean easily. It's the only chuck i've used so far and love it!

I don't own (and have never used) a Oneway chuck so can't comment on that one. But I do own a SN2 (ver 1), SN2 (ver2) and a Vic 120. I always reach for the Vic... love the Vic. I really dislike the splined chuck key on the SN2 (ver1) 'cause it's a PITA getting it aligned and while the SN2 (ver2) uses an easily aligned hex key it's kind of small and doesn't extend deep enough into the chuck to stay in place if you take your hand off it (which I do often when adjusting a blank in the jaws). And the Vic tightens with a clockwise rotation while the Super Novas tighten counter-clockwise. I can't tell you how many times I've loosened one of the nova chucks when I meant to tighten. Ultimately, they all will work at holding wood, but I just enjoy using the Vic the most.

I have both the Vicmarc 5 1/2" and a Oneway Stronghold. Both work equally well for me. I do prefer the Vicmarc allen key, but dropped and broke the handle on mine. I got a standard allen hex wrench off the internet, which is much heavier and love it. Overall, I prefer the Vicmarc, which just seems to work smoother than the Oneway, but that's jusy my preference.

Grizzley sells a 3 1/2" Vicmarc knockoff for $99, but I have never used one so I can't vouch for it. Anyone out there have one?

I have owned both the Vicmarc and Oneway chucks, both the large and small chuck offered by both manufacturers.

You can't go wrong with either chuck. For what its worth I think that the VicMarc is better than the Oneway chuck for the following reasons:
    1) Heftier construction
    2) Gearing is completely enclosed
    3) Mechanism doesn't loosen under use
    4) Better jaws
    5) Allen wrench key

The Oneway is more readily available (more heavily marketed) so there are a lot more owners of Oneway. If Vicmarc was as widely distributed / available then I would suspect that you would hear a lot more comparative responses. I gifted my Strongholds to my dad and replaced them with Vicmarc.

There is no wrong answer on this...both are solid performers.

I love my 5 1/2" vicmarc chuck. Super solid, massive gripping power. I don't one a oneway so I can't really compare but I can't say enough good things about my Vicmarc either. So get a Vicmarc.

Joshua