Thread: Help with Respirator please

Blog Entries

Help with Respirator please

i need to get myself a respirator for my shop to keep the dust out of
    my pretty little lungs! and i wanted to ask who knows if the following
    specs work for woodworking?

OSHA 29 CFR 1910.134 Meets NIOSH N95

these are off a dual cartridge mask sold for body shop use but i would
    think if it holds out paint it should certainly hold out dust?

please let me know?
    thanks

I prefer n100 fllters as that is the equivalent to hepa. I like the 3m masks with the pink filters.

Kevin,

Rather than the catridge mask, which will work, I prefer the N95 dusk mask (usually the one with the one way valve on the front). I find the caterage mask too balky and a bit more restrictive than the dust mask. It seems to me that much of the decision is based on personal preference and comfort. If you're not comfortable, you won't wear it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do wear the catridge respirator while spraying any finish.

I recommend getting the P100 filters instead of N95. They cost about the same and get over 99% of particulates instead of 95%.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I'm very pleased with my 3m halfmask respirator. You can get the 100's easy, and it's extremely comfortable.

Blog Entries
    do you guys have any links to your masks and filters please?

are the filter mounts the same between the N95 and P100?

and is there any difference between a body shop & woodworking mask?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I'm very pleased with my 3m halfmask respirator. You can get the 100's easy, and it's extremely comfortable.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    do you guys have any links to your masks and filters please?

are the filter mounts the same between the N95 and P100?

and is there any difference between a body shop & woodworking mask?
    I was lost on this issue too, but after reading some helpful threads on the Creek, I bought a 3M 6000 series half mask respirator at Lowe's. I find it fairly comfortable (note: if you can, find somewhere to test fit them. They come in different sizes, and having one that fits properly is important.), doesn't fog my safety glasses like the dust masks I used to use, and the filters are removable and re-configurable. The pink ones it comes with are P100, and, if I am not mistaken, also charcoal filters, so you can use them for spraying volatile organics. But you can alse get just the dust filters.

HTH,

Lee
    Last edited by Lee Bidwell; 05-13-2010 at 4:17 PM.

Kevin Gregoire: do you have a beard or a mustache?

Some respirators and dust masks do not work well and/or are uncomfortable to wear with facial hair.

Blog Entries
    ray, i do have a beard & stache although i keep them trimmed thin so i dont think they would be a problem?

lee, that mask you posted is just for chemical, do the cartridges that come with it work with dust? or do you just get
    by with them and us dust cartridges next change out?
    Last edited by Kevin Gregoire; 05-13-2010 at 4:17 PM.

10. I meant p100. N95 is 95% efficient at 0.3 microns - p100 is 99.97%. It seems close but if you do the math there is an enormous exposure difference.

For what it's worth....

Love my 3M 7500. Got it with the P100 particulate filters AND the organic vapor cartridges.

On the particulate side ... they just work great, and do NOT cause my glasses to fog.

On the vapor side ... I simply can't tell I'm working with finishes ... while I'm working with finishes ... when I'm wearing this thing.

Totally satisfied.

Kevin

I also have facial hair...hate to shave...and my employer won't even fit test me with a N95 dust mask. My previous employer required that I shave so I could be fit tested for a respirator and a SCBA.

If you've got facial hair OSHA and NIOSH say you've got leaks.

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation