Thread: Tiny letters on a 3D crystal peice

Tiny letters on a 3D crystal peice

I was just given a 3D Crystal piece where the client wants an inscription engraved (in 5pt Lucida Calligraphy - white filled) on the back of the crstal behind the tiny clock. I have only done basic glass before. Dare I try this one-of-a-kind irreplaceable piece???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Noell; 05-12-2010 at 7:56 PM. Reason: added white fill
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I just did a dozen 24% Pb goblets for a wedding that I didn't think would turn out very well (they didn't by my standards) the customer was very appreciative. Of course these goblets were el cheapos and readily replaceable at the Shopko. Give it a whirl-just mind your power settings (keep low) and hit them twice if you have to. The goblets I did were 30P/35S 300DPI w/35 watt machine.

Bruce

Trying to get 5 point cursive type to come out clean on glass is just too scary to me.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I would use photo resist and sandcarve them. I doubt a laser would get that detail on glass/crystal. I could easily laser acrylic, anodized aluminum, stainless with Cermark, etc., with that fine detail, but not glass. I would still try it on a scrap of glass, but don't expect much.

Gary

This was a bit sticky as it came to me not direct from the client but through a middleman. Afraid of complications, I decided that I'd just make a tiny flexibrass circle with the inscription, stick it on right behind the clock (so it's not really visible from the front). Tiny fast and simple. Then I put the crystal piece right back on the airplane to the other island from whence it had come. (There was a big rush to get it back.) I added a letter explaining why we were not able to engrave the glass the way they wanted and said the flexibrass was free (and that it could be peeled off if they did not like it). If I wasn't completely booked this week I might have tried something else but there wasn't really time to even think about very much. Better paying clients with bigger jobs get my primary attention!

The big problem with high quality glass and crystal is that the laser works by superheating impurities in the glass and causes fracturing as these expand , the higher quality glass has less impurities and trapped moisture than cheap glass and actually engraves WORSE than the cheap stuff.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

If it were me (and I do realise not many will agree) I would get a piece of local newspaper, soak it in dish washing soap and then engrave it at 1200dpi 30 speed and 100 power. But that's me.... I know I'd get a good result and I too have a 45w Epilog.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    The big problem with high quality glass and crystal is that the laser works by superheating impurities in the glass and causes fracturing as these expand , the higher quality glass has less impurities and trapped moisture than cheap glass and actually engraves WORSE than the cheap stuff.
    I once thought this was the method (impurities) in which glass was marked, but after running a number of tests I seriously questioned it. The higher the quality of glass, the better my marks get. I can make some really detailed designs in a quality glass. After some research I have a much better understanding of what's going on between the amorphous/crystalline structure, and I now believe impurities only play a small (i.e., unnecessary) role in marking glass. I'm still researching though, so I leave open the possibility to change my mind

There should be no trapped moisture in any typical glass panel though, even the cheap stuff... moisture at the temperature levels glass is worked at initially would cause an explosion, and as it is cooled the amount of moisture in the air is highly controlled (not that a lot of moisture in the air would matter to such a cooling process anyway).

John, I think you may be better off having played it safe on that one. I could probably do 5 point of that font if the crystal was high enough quality (using the 2" lens), but I wouldn't guarantee the qualilty of the ascenders/descenders without trying it first... Lucida Calligraphy has some thin lines, so proper tuning (not just power/speed, but definition, contrast, etc.) for that material would be necessary. I've done 8 point without blinking, but by the time you get to 5-6 point, things get very touchy very fast. The peel-n-stick was probably a wise save...
    Last edited by Dan Hintz; 05-13-2010 at 6:40 AM. Reason: Added reply to John
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Just a thought, what if you remove the clock and with the thin piece of acrylic engrave what you want.
    Then cut the circle to fit in back and replace the clock.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

that's a great idea assuming there would not be an issue with the clock not sitting flush against the crystal. I would not have considered that..

I found this site on google. Maybe this help you in future. www dot glass-etching-kits.com/glass_etching_instructions.htm