Thread: Pecan Bowl

Pecan Bowl

Thanks to the help of this forum, I was able to complete my first bowl. I'm interested in some feedback as I know there's room for improvement since there were several "lessons learned" along the way.

The intended use for this bowl will be as a fruit bowl. From what I gathered on the opinions of food-safe finishes, it appears as though all finishes are food-safe as long as they dry adequately. Is this the consensus? I have Mahoney's walnut oil, which I'll probably use anyways for bowls that are used to eat out of as a precaution and to simplify the finishing process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice looking bowl Brett! Love the spalting!

What size is your bowl?

Everything I have read states that any finish is food safe once it is fully cured.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice work Brett! That will look great as a fruit bowl.

Brett, you certainly picked an outstanding piece of wood for this bowl! Really beautiful!

I like the bowl, it has gently eased edges on the rim, and I like the foot. The only thing I may have changed was a little more roundness to the shape, but it is still a very nice piece of which you should be proud.

Thanks for comments so far--much appreciated! Sorry, I meant to indicate the dimensions of the bowl but it's 11" in diameter and 4" in depth.

I should mention that one of the lessons learned was on the other half of this pecan log, also having a lot of spalting, where I lost it by trying to touch up the bevel on the rim of the bowl after having the entire bowl basically complete. The tool caught the edge of the rim and blew out the wall of the bowl. It was such a disappointment but without mistakes, I'd never learn.

Thanks,
    Brett

6. Thats very good for a first bowl. The spalted pecan is a nice piece of eye candy also. Great job! Looking forward to #2!

Great looking bowl from a beautiful piece of wood. Looking forward to your next piece.

Very much character in this Pecan, and a very nice bowl, especially for your first. Nice job!

That is one good looking bowl. I really like the shape. Did it turn good, or was it hard as a brick like dried pecan usually is?
    .........Tony.........

Brett that is a nice looking bowl. Will make a great looking fruit bowl. I use Mahoney's walnut oil or Minwax Antique Oil on all my utility items.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by TONY GREENWAY View Post
    That is one good looking bowl. I really like the shape. Did it turn good, or was it hard as a brick like dried pecan usually is?
    Thanks, Tony. I don't have much experience with other turning woods at this point but I thought it turned relatively easily, even though it was about 6 to 8 months old. My practice material has been red oak so anything is an improvement over red oak as it was very difficult to turn. I do have some dried mesquite firewood that I use for the smoker and it turned fairly well since it was completely dried out. Overall, it was nice material and it's a good thing because I have another 8 logs left.

That's a really nice bowl, Brett! Your skills can only improve from here. Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Harvey

Very nicely done bowl. Love the wood and for a first attempt I like the shape as well.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Brett,

Yeally nice piece of wood, and equally nice job you did on you first bowl.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.