Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for thin wood

Source for thin wood

Anyone know of a good supplier for thin (1/8" or 3/32") wood. I know LaserBits has thin sheets of Alder, but I'm looking to get it more cost effectively than what I can get from them. Thanks.
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

Tim,

Thin Wood
    Try Laserarts they are highly recommended here.

A lot of people here purchase thin wood from George Perzel at Laserarts. You can find the contact information in the FOTC Directory

Thin Wood

Michael Kowalcyk on this forum also sells thin 1/8" baltic birch. You can PM him on this site.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

I use Balsa USA for my micro ply they have birch and poplar lite ply from 1/64th to 3/16th inch .
    rich

We used to order all of our scale lumber, thin sheets and thin ply(~$5000/yr) from National Balsa but a couple of years ago we discovered Bud Nosen Models BNM is a little odd to deal with and they really don't have a web storefront. They don't like to compete with their dealers, so they require you to jump through some hoops to set up an account. Once you get an account set up though, ordering via phone is quick and easy. They're about ~15% cheaper than National which was the next cheapest place I could nail down. BNM is also closer so shipping is more reasonable and I get my orders in 1-2 days. If you looking at quantity orders, it might be worth giving Bud a call.

Aircraft Spruce
    also has reasonable prices on thin plywoods.

-kg

Terry,

Thanks for reminding me about Michael Kowalcyk, he is also listed in the FOTC directory.

When I lived in St. Louis, I used a place called Wood & Shop. They carry an unreal inventory of wood down to 1/8". Their website is www.woodnshop.com

Todd

You are right about Wood'n'Shop. Their selection is the best I've ever seen.

They are no longer in St. Louis though--they moved to Troy,MO. No matter, as their business is internet based.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Not to hijack this thread but does anyone know of any good Canadian thin wood suppliers, preferably with a web store front.
    Thanks,

Shawn

Epilog Summit 25W
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 50W

ULS 50 Watt
    Sublimation
    Sandblasting
    Diamond Drag/Rotary Engraver

I struggled to get thin wood in South Africa - eventually we hit on a solution , I use 1.5-3mm (1/16th to 1/8th) Low/medium density fibreboard (MDF) and veneer it either single or double sided - I can get any wood I want and just about any size this way - and it's quite cheap. Laser engraves and cuts awesomely.
    The only issue I have is bigger sheets bowing , so we store the sheets flat with a lot of weight atop. (chipped marble bases damaged in transit from china)
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Hi Rodne;
    Believe it or not we have a tough time finding 1/8" LDF or MDF in the USA and have never seen 1/16" but would love to get my hands on some. Your solution is great as I've found thin MDF stays flatter than solid wood or ply and veneer is available in abundance.
    Anyone know where to find 1/8" or 1/16" MDF in the States??
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

We just ordered 20 sheets of 1/8" mdf from our local full-service lumber yard (Industrial Lumber and Plywood) $7.83/4x8sht!! Cuts like butta. I had inquired about 1/8" mdf in the past but they never stocked it, must have just started recently. Nothing thinner at this time, I don't know how 1/16" would be transported.

-kg

Thin Wood

If you have a Michael's Hobby / Craft Store, they carry many sizes and thickness of Baltic birch. They can order large quantities as well. I think after their pricing and taxes, Michael K. may be as cheap as they come or it equals out. I found another guy that will cut to size and offers different thicknesses up in MO or IL, but I can't currently find his info to pass on; but he had very good prices considering he would do squares, rectangles, or even circles. I'll have to look up his info to pass on.
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    We just ordered 20 sheets of 1/8" mdf from our local full-service lumber yard (Industrial Lumber and Plywood) $7.83/4x8sht!! Cuts like butta. I had inquired about 1/8" mdf in the past but they never stocked it, must have just started recently. Nothing thinner at this time, I don't know how 1/16" would be transported.
    What he said.

1/8" MDF is thick on the ground out here, but I've never seen 1/16". But I have seen 1/8" panels (e.g. at Rockler) made from two veneer skins with an MDF core not much thicker than 1/16", so such stuff apparently exists.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.