Thread: Biesemeyer pads

Biesemeyer pads

Hello, folks.

I'm rebuilding a Biesemeyer fence and am wondering what other folks have used for the friction pads used on the bottom of the fence tube, as well as the four pads on the angle iron "T" that rides on the guide tube. I found this, but would like to hear some opinions:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pro...1-478c5acfb495

Thanks!

Slick strips are much thinner than the pads from the factory. I'd say they are more like 3/16" thick. UHMW is the right material though. Those are the ones that are mounted to the angle piece that rides on the tube. The pad on the cam foot is more like a piece of laminate counter material. A sample chip from the BORG would be enough to make a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Slick strips are much thinner than the pads from the factory. I'd say they are more like 3/16" thick. UHMW is the right material though. Those are the ones that are mounted to the angle piece that rides on the tube. The pad on the cam foot is more like a piece of laminate counter material. A sample chip from the BORG would be enough to make a couple.
    Thanks, Matt. Are the four pads inside the angle also that thick? I seem to remember the remnants of mine being thinner. I don't want to push the whole fence too far forward and affect the lock lever action.

I went through a hunt last summer when one of the pads on my PM Accufence went the way of dryer socks. PM wanted some really riduculous price for a replacement so I started searching about to find an equivalent. Ended up getting some from McMaster-Carr
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/116/3572/=712hrx
    #7998K41
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by zayd alle View Post
    Hello, folks.

I'm rebuilding a Biesemeyer fence and am wondering what other folks have used for the friction pads used on the bottom of the fence tube, as well as the four pads on the angle iron "T" that rides on the guide tube. I found this, but would like to hear some opinions:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Pro...1-478c5acfb495

Thanks!
    If your fence doesn't have a pair of holes drilled for the UHMW pads, then it came with glued on pieces of high pressure laminate. Most of the older ones did. I have built fences using both UHMW and "Formica" pads, and could tell no difference in operation. Biesmeyer (Delta) will sell you replacement pads.

I have a manual for my fence. Here are links for the part numbers in the manual for the glide pads. The first is for the horizontal pad, and the second is for the vertical.

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Prod...?partid=201570

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Prod...?partid=201570

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    If your fence doesn't have a pair of holes drilled for the UHMW pads, then it came with glued on pieces of high pressure laminate. Most of the older ones did. I have built fences using both UHMW and "Formica" pads, and could tell no difference in operation. Biesmeyer (Delta) will sell you replacement pads.
    Bruce -- will contact cement suffice to glue on the pads?

Zayd, the Bies that was on that contractor saw you bought from me had the laminate pad on the locking lever glued back on with contact cement about 6 months after I got it. It stayed on the whole time I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Zayd, the Bies that was on that contractor saw you bought from me had the laminate pad on the locking lever glued back on with contact cement about 6 months after I got it. It stayed on the whole time I had it.
    Good, that should work. And that saw has not traveled far... my next-door neighbor coveted it since the day I brought it home, so he jumped at the chance when I brought home my PM66

Thanks for the info, folks... I'll post pictures of the completed fence once it gets painted.

BTW, I'd scape off some paint where you glue it. I think that's why that pad originally came off. The contact cement stuck to the paint, but the paint didn't stick to the metal as good.

11. Doug, Rehabing an old Powermatic 66 with the Accufence and it also needs pads on the fence. As others have mentioned the parts diagram and manual for the Accufence is hard to come by. Do you know the thickness of the pads that hold the fence off the table and also the thickness of the pads that run on top of the tube?