Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery whatzit

Mystery whatzit

Our Grand Neighbor died a few weeks ago (wonderful, wonderful person, as was her husband, couldn't ask for finer neighbors), and their family has been doing some house cleaning. We went and raided the dumpster and found this curious thing. It's about 6' long overall, the straight part is about 4', 6" wide and 1.5" thick. The large hole is 1.125", and the large nail circle is 3.75". There's a small hole near the one end, a small split, and a dowel put thru and wedged. Any idea?

You can see the tip of the dowel in this photo.

I also recovered an H&R (Harrington & Richardson) saw sharpening gizmo, complete with instructions. First person to say, "I want it!" gets it.

Looks like a part of a rudder assembly for a small skiff or dory. I've seen similar parts in Nova Scotia. The system was attached to the side of the boat at the stern. Was anyone in the family into fishing or sailing small boats?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Blog Entries
    It could be a runner for an ice boat....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm no sailor but I agree w/the two above: a watercraft steering thingy.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Well, good guesses, but... If this thing spent much time under water it would very likely have run into the odd rock - it's really very ding free... If it were an iceboat runner, wouldn't it have a metal edge? (I've not been near an ice boat since a was a wee one admiring Mr. Leonard's.)

What about the H&R sharpening gizmo - anyone interested? You could hang it on your wall as your very own whatzitz.

I'd say a handle to some kind of cart. Was there a matching one for the other side? Something round was connected around the middle hole... Looks like stress cracks and some wear in the bottom hole...

Well, good guesses, but... If this thing spent much time under water it would very likely have run into the odd rock - it's really very ding free...
    The tiller is the part of the rudder system that's above water.
    The rudder is that part that goes in the water.
    That sure looks like a tiller.

Google "boat tiller" images and have a look-see.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 05-11-2010 at 5:45 AM.

It's an ergonomically designed cricket bat for a giant with a bad back.
    The hole in the middle reduces wind drag for a faster swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    It's an ergonomically designed cricket bat for a giant with a bad back.
    The hole in the middle reduces wind drag for a faster swing.
    I like it! Quoting my father, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

That's about the ugliest tiller I've ever seen

Cart handle - seems possible, but there was only the one. Doesn't mean there wasn't once another. Kind of an odd one, tho.

Geez, and the H&R sharpening set-up is still unclaimed; somebody must want it. I risked my life and limb dumpster diving to get it, and all of its parts, out of the dumpster.

Shawn, ya beat me to it. I thought of a cricket bat, but was going to go with a cheater hockey stick for a 2 foot person.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Blog Entries
    It looks a lot like the paddle that came out of the closet everytime I messed up as a kid.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

It looks like a shadow of someone holding their head saying "what the hell is this" ....Ohhhh the Wood thing...Sorry...don't know what that is..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Harrow View Post
    ....I also recovered an H&R (Harrington & Richardson) saw sharpening gizmo, complete with instructions. First person to say, "I want it!" gets it.
    O.K. Ed, I'm your huckaberry....

I want it...Send it to me!

I'll PM you my mailing address....
    Women are like phones. They love to be held and talked to, but if you press the wrong buttons you'll get disconnected!

Life is one fool thing after another whereas love is two fool things after each other

My first thought was one side of a home made wheel barrow. Maybe one side broke, thrown away, and this kept as a pattern to make a new one. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries

Thingy

Instead of a tiller or rudder for a boat I'd venture a Swing handle for a dagger board (that's a "liftable keel for the non-nautical) on a small sailboat. It really doesn't look right for a tiller assembly.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"