Thread: laser cutting styrofoam

laser cutting styrofoam

Has anyone cut styrofoam, i tried cut very nicely about a 1/2 in after that it was all blown out,wondering if i could cut letters out or glider bodies

Stan, I cut it sometimes, but the edges look weird. I guess it's the heat that does it. I have cut some of the blue stuff that is actually insulation board and it does pretty well. White stuff doesn't do as well.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

I cut some packing materials from 1" styrofoam, mostly for cutting holes to hold glassware. The beam spread over the inch still allows for full penetration, and the resulting taper of the cut helps to wedge in the glasses for a firm fit.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I've cut depron. I use 3 passes. One for the top 'skin', one for the core, one for the bottom 'skin'. Best results that way. I actually use different settings for the skin passes and the core. If you use a thick core multiple passes there are advised.

You'll want to fiddle about with your settings, particularly speed and frequency to get a cut without melting the crap out of everything.
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"