Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust collection install

I agree about not the best design on my Laguna. My biggest issue is with the jointing mode, where it drops tons of chips on the planer bed from above. This is with a 6" flexible hose converted down to 4" at the inlet. And you're right, a 6" flexible hose is a beast to flip around.

I'm going to build a new 6" outlet box and try it first in both modes. I need to see if my modified 6" inlet HF DC with Thien can get the majority of the chips if I enlarge the jointer inlet to 6". If not, time to think about a bigger DC (aaargh!!!!!!) I'll deal with the length of flexible hose for now. If that becomes too unwieldly, I'll try two separate outlet boxes.

How did you arrive at the 1 cubic yard chip\dust bin? I take it the size of the bin does not factor into the system's performance?

Bin

Hi Joe,

I built the bin as big as would fit the space and it ended up at just over 25 cubic feet. It did take a few tries to get it completely sealed, especially around the cleanout hatch that is on the outside of the shop but once it was airtight there is no negative impact on system performance. The plus side is less frequent emptying.

I did notice when I was testing for leaks that with all of the blast gates closed the plywood sides start to bow in noticably. The dust collector pulls 13" SP with all gates closed (measured after installation) and the sides of the box are 1/2" ply.

Thanks John!

I am remodeling my shop with the intention of putting in some type of central dust collection system. This post provides several great ideas. Thanks for posting the pictures and all of the information.

Thanks for the pic John, gave me some good ideas!