Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headboard

Headboard

This is a headboard that I just made for us. It is Big leaf Maple with Wenge posts. The maple is about 2-3/8 thick. Started at 3-1/4 before I flattened it. I used a router and a bridge to flatten it.
    the maple slab is about 35" at it's widest and 97" long.
    We plan to replace the bedspread so don't take off points for that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Like the more natural aspect... I really like how you kept the live edge. Find them much more interesting to the eye.

I like it, very nice!

Thanks.
    The more I look at it, both in the pic and in the room, it looks kind of leggy to me. I think I may shorten the legs about 6-8". I also am going to make a pair of nightstands that will attach to the posts.

Steve,
    This is very appealing. I like the look and the concept. Is the wenge a glue up?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Thanks.
    The more I look at it, both in the pic and in the room, it looks kind of leggy to me. I think I may shorten the legs about 6-8". I also am going to make a pair of nightstands that will attach to the posts.
    +1. It seems way too tall to me as well. I love the look. Is that mortise and tenon or is headboard sitting in a channel in back of the legs?

WOW. I am very impressed. (doubtful i could get my wife to buy off on it ) but that is seriously very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Very, very nice. I love the maple and the wenge is a good contrast

Wow, Steve that's awesome~!

Looks great Steve!
    JR

Steve, I'd suggest going maybe 2" at a time if possible. I know it's more work to repeat, but I'd hate to hide too much of that maple! I'm thinking 3 to 4" max. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I really like the slab of maple against the wenge. I did also think to myself, "that headboard looks a bit too high above the bed, I wonder if he has a pillow-mattress going in there or something?", just to back up your inclination. Really nice though. I also thought ,"that big natural slab was bold", in a good way, FWIW
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

The legs are glued up and hollow. I used 3/4 solid stock and mitered the corners and mitered the top so you don't see any edge grain. I notched the back of the posts and scribed the notches to the natural shape of the maple edge.

Beautiful work as usual, Steve.

I agree with you that the legs need to be shortened some. IMHO, the bottom edge of the headboard should not be seen.

I have been to Steve's shop several times. When I see his finished work I want to go home and beat my tools because they can't do even begin to do as well. On second thought, maybe it's the tool operator.
    Best Regards, Ken

yesterday I cut 6" off the posts. That puts the bottom of the headboard right at the mattress top. with the pillows on you can't see the bottom except off to the side a bit. It looks much better. If I ever get the nightstands built I'll post another pic. thanks all.