Thread: Which shaper?

Which shaper?

I have a small router, and was looking at getting a large router, lift, and table for making raised panel doors and such, but the price for the router setup is about the same as some shapers, so I figure it makes sense to get a shaper to run router bits (and have the option for high dollar shaper bits later - if needed).

The smaller hand held router -along with a shaper to use on "router table" projects could give the most bang and flexibility for the buck.

Since I am not planning on production shaper work, a lower end unit should suffice.

Any recommendations on a starter shaper ? Used or new.

NOTE: This is not a question of whether a shaper is better than a router - I have been reading the comments here and elsewhere, and I have come to the following:

A shaper will do as much, and more than a router, lift, and table - using router bits.
    The cost of a shaper is in the same ballpark as a "good" router, lift, and table set.
    A shaper will NOT do things as well on some projects that are better suited for hand routing.
    Using router bits in a shaper can do a good job.
    A shaper is mostly overkill when using router bits that are smaller than, say, raised panel bits.

Both are power tools and demand complete focus and awareness for safety.

You may not agree with my conclusions, but the question is based on these parameters. This may help keep things from getting side tracked.

BTW - I have very limited experience with router table, and NO experience with shaper.

I think you are on the right track for wanting a shaper. I'm pretty new into shapers, but I can tell you thus far I'm thrilled with it. I had 6 raised panel doors to finish for a kitchen project when I received my shaper, so I used it to complete the rest of the doors, being the profile I was using was not one I would have bought in a shaper cutter I used the router bit in my shaper. It did a great job, tons of power, much better than my 7518 pc router did. That is the only application so far I have used a router bits in my shaper.

I'm on another kitchen project now with a common profile so I bought a few cutters, the downside is they are really expensive, but I plan to use them for years to come. The plus side is they cut much nicer and I raise panels in one pass. Its scary as heck to fire it up the first time with a 5 1/2" bit spinning!!!

I know the shaper experts here will give you alot of great advise, and I have learned though them, the shaper is a heck of a tool. I went against better advise and handfed enough material for about 25 doors, panels and sticks, it went fine, I was just very careful on setup and feed technique.
    I purchased a feeder a couple weeks ago, it really brings out the best in this machine, consistent feed rate and pressure, along with added safety.

I'm not sure what your budget is but, I'd never buy one with less than 3hp. For making panel doors I think 3hp is the minimum. I know jet has a sale on a couple 3hp machines that are really nice for the money. I'd also make sure you get a machine with agood fence, being able to micro adjust on both sides of the bit is a big plus.

Good luck
    Last edited by Jeff Monson; 05-07-2010 at 5:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    Any recommendations on a starter shaper ? Used or new.
    The biggest you can afford. It simply opens the doors for more projects. Used will get you more bang for the buck. Most of my equipment I bought used, but from a dealer that gave me a warranty with them. I highly recommend a 3hp unit and pay attention to table size. Around 25 x 30 is about minimum IMO.

Rick, a 3hp shaper with 3/4" spindle, will do about anything you contemplate in a home shop. The problem is, if you have one, you want TWO! For cabinet work, two shapers (or three) are too convenient to set up for rails and copes, and raised panels.

For now, one shaper will earn it's keep if you do any amount of raised panel door work. Grizzly offers lots of bang for the buck, if buying new, as many here will attest.

There are many good bargains on CL, or at local auctions. IF you can wait, you can save about half. But, you must determine what condition the machine is in. See that the spindle is not damaged or bent, and cranks up and down smoothly. Rough spindle bearings may need replacement. There is little else to go wrong with a shaper as long as the motor runs. You will probably want to stay away from 3-phase machines.

Welcome to the world of shapers! They are one machine that will easily earn their keep if you do much raised panel door work!
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 05-07-2010 at 6:23 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I'll just throw out one more thing to consider. Even though the fancy lifts and router tables are all the rage these days, they are far from necessary. All that's needed to setup a perfectly acceptable router table is some scrap sheet stock and a little time. I'm still using my first router table that I built over ten years ago before I started my business. I built it from a plan in a router book and as crude as it is I wouldn't trade it for any of those store bought jobs.
    Shapers are great don't get me wrong, I've got 2 and would be happy to add a 3rd at some point. I'm just saying there's some middle ground that may help you determine if you do enough work to justify the cost. Other than that I think the other guys have it pretty well covered.
    good luck,
    JeffD

I personally recommend a powermatic pm2700 if you buy new, I noticed that my dealer has them on sale new for $2400 right now. Most used shapers can be a great value (especially in this crummy market, wait for the deal) delta and powermatic seem to last a long time. I dont care much for grizzly shapers but if you go out and look at some and mess with the fence and adjustments you can get a pretty good feel for how well they are built.
    Next I wouldnt even consider a shaper without a power feeder, so if you choose this route plan on buying a feeder, I recommend a 1HP.
    Depending on what you plan to do with it you might consider a 5HP machine, a 3HP can barely raise panels with shaper cutters. You might consider searching the local used market for a shop that is closing up and selling all their equipment, you might find some great deals and if its 3-phase go get a rotary phase converter, you may be able go get the whole setup with a feeder and phase converter for under 1K with some used cutters?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    I'll just throw out one more thing to consider. Even though the fancy lifts and router tables are all the rage these days, they are far from necessary.

JeffD
    I have to agree with Jeff on this. You don't need a lift at all, and the prefab tables with inserts and such aren't necessary either. A lot of guys head down that ultimate router table road, and thats fine, but it is an exercise much removed from the actual goal of working wood. The router table where I work is literally a scrap of melamine, some stiffeners underneath to keep it flat, a box fence that pivots (made from plywood and poplar scraps, and a hole drilled in the table. There is an extra PC base screwed to the bottom of the table. No gizmos, no wizmos, no cast iron, no lift. Maybe would cost $35 to make if you had to buy the scraps at a borg. Does everything the fanciest table I've seen does, though you do have to bend over to make height adjustments and pull the motor for bit changes.

I do like the shapers and see them as complimentary to the router table, not so much a direct replacement. They both have strengths and shortcomings.

Recommendations on a starter shaper? 3HP 3/4" spindle is a good starter that will get the job done for most cabinet work. If you want to get into larger moldings, passage doors or production work then 5HP 1 1/4" spindle is a must.