Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit - Flesh Sensing Technology

Lawsuit - Flesh Sensing Technology

Remember the guy who won a lawsuit vs Ryobi's parent company because the saw didn't have flesh-sensing technology?

This article really steams me!

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/...blesaw-lawsuit

The guy was ripping without a GUARD, a SPLITTER, and - get this - a RIP FENCE!
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-05-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Steve Gass "feels vindicated". Where's the hurl icon?

All that was proven was the guy could get himself mangled by bypassing the safety mechanisms on the saw and ramming his hands into the blade.

I wonder how a hand run through sawstop would come out with the brake disabled and all of the safety devices removed.

Don't hate lawyers. Hate juries. The article says they asked for $250K, and it was the jury that upped it to $1.5M. The average Joe in the jury box, when asked to render a verdict, is going to instinctively favor the individual over the nameless, faceless corporation, which they will assume to be insured.

I'll worry about this if it ever survives appeal.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-05-2010 at 11:02 PM.

Just a friendly warning to everyone - this subject has come up numerous times already and each time the thread gets removed because it becomes volatile.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Guess when I get into an accident with my entry level cheapo low end car, which I drive to fast without wipers going, with bald tires in the rain, that doesnt have any of the new fangled safty stuff a volvo does, i can sue the maker since they didnt include it on my car as well.

Sloppy Joes, on the other hand...
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-05-2010 at 11:03 PM.

Before we all get up in arms. We need to stop and get all of the info. A lawsuit like this one is never this simple, and there may be a lot of legal info not presented in the article. Case in point;

Remember the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit? Where the woman spilled hot coffee in her lap and sued them, and won?
    On the surface it seemed like BS. In actuality though, McDonalds had been sued previously, and lost or settled out of court,for similar instances and had numerous complaints filed, in multiple states, and had done nothing to decrease the temp of the coffee. They lost not because of the woman, they lost because of prior issues that had not been addressed, even though they committed to resolving the issues.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Remember the McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit? Where the woman spilled hot coffee in her lap and sued them, and won?
    On the surface it seemed like BS.
    It is still BS. People need to take personal responsibility for doing stupid things. Coffee is hot. Hot things burn. That should have been the end of that story.

This, btw, coming from someone who in fact has suffered 2nd degree burns across a large portion of my torso from hot coffee.

Blog Entries
    I can't believe this can of worms has been opened again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    It is still BS. People need to take personal responsibility for doing stupid things. Coffee is hot. Hot things burn. That should have been the end of that story.

This, btw, coming from someone who in fact has suffered 2nd degree burns across a large portion of my torso from hot coffee.
    If I remember right, she suffered 3rd degree burns - and that was part of the reasoning for the decision. No reason to have coffee so much hotter than necessary.

I agree that things sound ridiculous, and it gets very emotional. I will wait until all the facts are in, appeals are made, and then make judgment for myself. (I will try anyway...)

Sorry for opening the worm can! I just read the FWW article published today. Didn't think before posting. Apologies...

What we have here is one jury which was persuaded to do something stupid. The decision will probably be reversed/adjusted on appeal or out of court. I've got to guess that Ryobi/One World really handled this poorly in the court room or else many of the points made here would have been understood by the jury.

Keep in mind that there were 59,999 table saw injuries last year where there was no lawsuit and no reward. The sky is not falling. If the courts are screwed up, it is not in favor of the little guy.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Prosser View Post
    If I remember right, she suffered 3rd degree burns
    Ouch. I looked up the old articles. They do, in fact, state 3rd degree burns. I'm kind of stunned, however, since I understand 3rd degree burns to mean "charred flesh." My sympathies for the woman have increased substantially. But I still think it was a poorly decided case.

All this is to say, if you are going to pour scalding coffee on your table saw, make sure the blade guard is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    All this is to say, if you are going to pour scalding coffee on your table saw, make sure the blade guard is in place.
    I don't post much here at SMC, but I had to on this one...that there is funny!