Thread: My neighbor's basement.

My neighbor's basement.

One of the neighbors had me come over today to see some tools he wanted to sell. Turned out to be a smattering from the 1975 woodcraft catalog, Ulima Jointer plane, smoothing plane, two wooden frame saws, spokeshaves, drawknives, lots of carving tools and mallets, all unused in their boxes and a small, low cabinetmakers bench with tail vise, all in pretty much new condition. It looked like his father had gotten a shopping list from Tage Frid.

Honestly, there wasn't a thing there that I would use. I'm not a carver, and for anything else, I have other tools that would perform better IMHO. So my question is, do people use things like frame saws and Ulima planes, or have we moved past those things?

Blog Entries
    Many folks use the tools they have.

Many prefer a frame saw enough that they will build their own.

Many prefer the feel of a wood bodied plane to that of an iron or bronze plane.

I have a few wood bodied planes myself that get used when need be.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've got to wonder whether you aren't pulling our leg or trolling a bit here.

It sounds like a very nice set of stuff that anyone who liked hand tool work might use and appreciate. Tage Frid was a master. We should all be so good, and the tools he used were timeless. Folks certainly have their own preferences, and might like a metal jjointer better than the ulmia and and Japanese saw or Disston better than the frame saw, but that's really not a statement about the Ulmia jointer and frame saw, or their ability to perform exceptionally.

Buy it, pack it, send it, I will use it all!! As a hand tools only woodworker, I like the wooden body planes a lot... Frame saws, they have there time im my shop. and carving tools, don't have any and would love some! The bench, it would be an other great thing to have in double....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schwalb View Post
    Honestly, there wasn't a thing there that I would use. I'm not a carver, and for anything else, I have other tools that would perform better IMHO. So my question is, do people use things like frame saws and Ulima planes, or have we moved past those things?
    Yes, some people use hand tools. Some people just never get that far....

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schwalb View Post
    One of the neighbors had me come over today to see some tools he wanted to sell. Turned out to be a smattering from the 1975 woodcraft catalog, Ulima Jointer plane, smoothing plane, two wooden frame saws, spokeshaves, drawknives, lots of carving tools and mallets, all unused in their boxes and a small, low cabinetmakers bench with tail vise, all in pretty much new condition. It looked like his father had gotten a shopping list from Tage Frid.

Where does your neighbor live. If near me I'll buy a few tools.
    Are you asking if people still use carving tools, drawknives, spokeshaves,
    smoothing planes, etc? Yes, people still use handtools. This is a hand tool
    forum so someone must still use them. I use my Ulmia horned smoother, love it.
    Last edited by Steve Pirrelli; 05-02-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Be a good neighbor and list that stuff for him in SMC Classifieds. It'll be sold within a couple of hours. I live only a couple of hours away and would be interested, but there are many others even closer to Penn State.

Steve

"Moved Past" isn't the right word, more like just gone out of style a little.

Quality tools are quality tools. I would imagine you could find homes for those things pretty easily if the guy wants to sell.

He'll likely find that if he got good carving tools, he'll get a good return on them. They've absolutely gone through the roof in the last few years, maybe because they're all made in europe.

I would check ebay for the going rates for the ulmia planes, frame saws, etc, before I'd buy them, though - they come up from time to time with folks wanting 90% of new price for them, and they just don't bring that any longer.

it's funny how you can tell what sells based on what some expert woodworker of the day uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    It sounds like a very nice set of stuff that anyone who liked hand tool work might use and appreciate. Tage Frid was a master. We should all be so good, and the tools he used were timeless. Folks certainly have their own preferences, and might like a metal jointer better than the ulmia and and Japanese saw or Disston better than the frame saw, but that's really not a statement about the Ulmia jointer and frame saw, or their ability to perform exceptionally.
    What Sean said; your neighbor's father and I were buying from Woodcraft around the same time -- they were basically the only game in town back then -- and I've kept most of those tools.

Ray, whatever you do, don't try out those Ulmia planes. You may never be satisfied with a metal-bodied plane again. My Ulmia smoother is one of my all-time favorites.