Thread: Right Tilt Table Saw w/ Table and Fence to Left

Right Tilt Table Saw w/ Table and Fence to Left

Due to a injury to my left hand, I feel safer, even on my left tilt saw, putting the fence to the left of the blade when possible. Better to have one less than 100% hand than two.

Does anyone make a right tilt saw with the table and fence set up to give the longer cut distance to the left of the table? Any reason not to due it this way? I assume I could flip the table extensions around, set up the fence to be to the left of the blade and apply a new measuring strip. Just wondering if any companies make one already set up this way. Thanks.

James, it all has to do with the rails for the fence. I know that General will custom make rails for their fences to extend however far to the left of the blade you want.

Regards, Mark

Can the motor be made to run backwards? Then you could probably just use the saw from the backside.

But Seriously Folks!...

It's all in placement of the fence rails, James. Extra holes may have to be drilled in the rails to match those of the saw table, but you can place the fence on either side to suit your preference. Grizzly and Kreg make left-reading, self-stick measuring tapes are made just for this purpose. Aligning the tape with the indicator on your fence will be the most critical part of the change.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    But Seriously Folks!...
    Sarcasm is completly lost when typing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Brogger View Post
    Sarcasm is completly lost when typing.
    Have no fear Karl. I am naturally sarcastic and got it immediately.

Chip's reply, as usual, was some good solid information.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm not sure how your going to be safer moving the fence around? The tablesaw is a dangerous tool whichever way the blade tilts and wherever the fence is positioned. Being careful and using safe technique will keep your digits intact more so than fence placement.
    If it's cutting bevels that has you nervous there's always different ways to do it than the tablesaw..... depending on what equipment you own.
    good luck,
    JeffD

Sorry, Karl, my "But seriously folks!..." is a bit of old Vaudeville schtick! Guess that got lost too....
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!