Thread: good source for sheet vinyl magnet material?

good source for sheet vinyl magnet material?

Hi, have to put numbers on a few cars for a charity rally. I figured I'd do something a little outrageous for the team, skull and crossbones sorta thing. So magnetic sheet would be ideal, since its removable. Where should I look?

Thanks as always

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

If you have a resale license you can buy it wholesale from any sign supply,
    I like Fellers, which has a local outlet, but we have 4 others also in Seattle so I can compare prices. Normally I get the best price by buying a whole roll, 30 mil 24" x 10' or 24"x25' for $35/125.

If there are none near you then try the online sources like Beacongraphics or signwarehouse. If you have no resale license there may be sources on the net that sell retail. It's heavy (shipping cost) so best to find it local.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I bought mine from a local sign shop in town.. On a side note/question.. Can you laser cut the magnetic material.?? I never actually even thought of trying till now

Rich

You can but shouldn't. It's covered with vinyl (the colored or white surface) and contains PVC. If you are going to laser cut it you will need to get some that's plain, no vinyl just magnetic, and apply polyester film or paint it. It actually doesn't cut all that well anyway, the edges will be a little rough.
    It can be scored on a vinyl plotter then broken apart, but for shapes die cutting it is best.

The plain is probably not available at sign shops, but will have to be bought at an industrial supply like McMaster-Carr, which only has up to 3" width, or Flexmag, or Adamsmagnetic which sell it with vinyl but also without.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Lasermag

This is what I have used for a couple of car magnets. From Johnsons Plastics, Rowmarks LaserMag
    http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/john...ving2010/#/202
    Last edited by James Rambo; 05-03-2010 at 1:34 PM.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Lasermag is laserable and would work for this as long as the vehicles are not running fast.

It is 1/3 thinner and has a lot less magnetic power than the 30 mil normally used for vehicles, it's meant more for refrigerator magnets.

Probably the best solution is to use repositionable plotter cut vinyl. It requires 40 lbs of squeegie pressure to pop the microbead adhesive, if you apply it gently it will stick for the event then easily peel off after.

Sammamish, WA

All good information to know. As of now I cut the magnetic material out by hand.