Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do they do this?

How do they do this?

Was at the art store yesterday, saw some very well made stickers in the scrapbooking section. The label says "laser cut" but I just can't see how it can be done on a laser.

http://www.mrsgrossmans.com/2-2_prod...id=Laser%20Cut

These stickers are on a backing paper, with no smoke marks and no cutting into the backing. Also, the curved bits are perfectly curved, no tremors as you often see with a laser vector cut.

If that stuff is laser cut, that is some of the finest cutting I've ever seen, and 4 for $1.50

Anybody know, what's the secret here?

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

This is posted on their website under the Tour Area.

Wait until you see our LaserWeb! It's the only system of its kind in the United States that can cut our laser-cut stickers. It's a high-tech wonder that shoots 10,000-degree laser beams to make the delicate cuts on Mrs. Grossman's Paper Whisper™ stickers.
    Joe Hayes
    CRS

Epilog Legend EXT 75 Watt, Epilog Legend 70 Watt,
    Xenetech 16x25 Rotary, Vinyl cutters, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hayes View Post
    This is posted on their website under the Tour Area.
    I have been working trying to accomplish the same thing. I can achieve decent results by doing the stickers one at a time. I use the center to center function in the Epilog driver. I have difficulty when I try and cut multiples on the same sheet. I would be very interested to see how these folks are doing this. I've tried all kinds of things, including scanning the printed page into Corel and then vectorizing it. I can get close but not as precise as they need to be. It drives me nuts to know that one can buy one of the new plotters that read registration marks that costs a whole lot less than my $25,000 Epilog and make stickers that I can't do.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post

Anybody know, what's the secret here?

Dave
    I do it all the time in peel-and-stick vinyl - 'cept my cutting doesn't need to be registered to printing on the sheet. I have done that, but it's a PITA and I don't do it often. Visit my site's page on inlays and click "instructions".

missionfurnishings.com/category/Inlaid-furniture-parts.aspx
    I just throttle back on the power and avoid cutting through the paper backing. They likely have access to a laser that puts ours to shame though, that's a lot of cutting. how they weed so much out of the design.... I don't know. "laserweb" seems to merge a laser cutter and a web press (printer).

It looks like these patterns are straight out of books available at Boarders.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 05-01-2010 at 9:50 AM. Reason: removed link
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Sure, I can do something similar, but very slowly, and leaving typical laser "fingerprints"-- a slight cut into the backer, smoke marks, and tremors on the curves at high speed.

But this stuff is perfectly perfect, sharp, clean and crisp. The white material showed absolutely no smoke, it looks more like it was just printed on the backer. And it must be done super fast, because its priced so cheaply.

Amazing!

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

I'm not saying this isn't laser cut, but in my opinion, if it is, it's a very special machine built for doing that. What I have found in the past is people love to say things that aren't completely true.

Again, not saying that's the case here, but what if they are die cutting it and then laser cutting the paper backers to length? Then it's a "Laser cut decal".

I'd have to see it to believe it's laser cut, or have someone that has seen it tell me they saw it. My guess is it's die cut.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

here is an article about a subsidary of Mrs. Grossman, A wine labeling company, that appears to use the same laser.

It states that the laser was made by Lasercraft but is out of production.
    This article was written a few years back.

One interesting thing it referred to it as a laser die-cutter, so it sounds like it was specifically designed for what it's doing. It has to be quite fast as stickers are about $1.50.

http://pffc-online.com/label_tape/sticks_flexo_0908/

Maybe someone in San Francisco can take the tour and fill us in.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Well, there's your answer! 8 feet per minute being laser cut.

I'd hate to have to weed them.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

At that speed I can't believe it's a gantry style laser. It must be a galvo where the material moves on a conveyor type system.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    here is an article about a subsidary of Mrs. Grossman, A wine labeling company, that appears to use the same laser.

It states that the laser was made by Lasercraft but is out of production.
    This article was written a few years back.

One interesting thing it referred to it as a laser die-cutter, so it sounds like it was specifically designed for what it's doing. It has to be quite fast as stickers are about $1.50.

http://pffc-online.com/label_tape/sticks_flexo_0908/

Maybe someone in San Francisco can take the tour and fill us in.

Marty
    This is a very sophisticated operation. Looks like the wine label company and the sticker company are both located in this 110,000 sq ft facility. I suspect given enough resources (money) one could get a highly specialized cutting system made to order.

I just need to make a few stickers from time to time, so I guess I am stuck with doing what I am doing or buying me a Craft Robo for a few bucks.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    At that speed I can't believe it's a gantry style laser. It must be a galvo where the material moves on a conveyor type system.
    8-ft per minute is 96" per minute, that's 1.6" per second. I could cut that with scissors. My 17 year old laser does 16" per second.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.

I'm guessing 8 feet per minute is feed speed through the machine not the cut line. That's typically how printers are defined. The label stock is 6.5" × 14". I'd say it feeds through on the short side of 6.5" moving at a rate of 8 feet per minute.
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 05-01-2010 at 2:05 PM.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I have did tests on GCC Spirit on this kind of paper. Speed of cutting was 60% (max speed is 62 ips, so 60% is 36 ips) with 100% power. Idea was how achieve maximum cutting speed. The main problem was ARGON instead air in air assist which cost $.
    It was ABSOLUTELY NO burn mark during cutting.
    GCC Dealer in Baltic countries

14. Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Voroncov View Post
    I have did tests on GCC Spirit on this kind of paper. Speed of cutting was 60% (max speed is 62 ips, so 60% is 36 ips) with 100% power. Idea was how achieve maximum cutting speed. The main problem was ARGON instead air in air assist which cost $.
    It was ABSOLUTELY NO burn mark during cutting.
    Cant you use CO2 insteadt of Argon? It should be alot cheaper, and should prevent any burning.

The laser must be a galvo driven beam type which cuts real fast.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher