Thread: # plys in plywood v. plywood strength?

# plys in plywood v. plywood strength?

For a given thickness of plywood, say 1/2 inch, I know that you can get variations of plywood with different number of plys. Sheathing is usually 3 ply, popular or birch plywood is 5 ply, and I have seen 7 ply.

So, if you were to build a cabinet for the shop, would you be concerned about the number of plys?

Does more plys increase the strength noticeable?

Thanks in Advance,

Jesse

You won't notice the difference for shop cabinets. I wouldn't use sheathing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Tutterrow View Post
    For a given thickness of plywood, say 1/2 inch, I know that you can get variations of plywood with different number of plys. Sheathing is usually 3 ply, popular or birch plywood is 5 ply, and I have seen 7 ply.

So, if you were to build a cabinet for the shop, would you be concerned about the number of plys?

Does more plys increase the strength noticeable?

Thanks in Advance,

Jesse
    For pieces as small as 24 x 30 or so, I think you'd see little difference because of plies alone except for the 3 ply stuff. 5 or 7 plies are better, of course. The species of wood will make a bigger difference. I'd stick to 3/4" for strength and stability though. 1/2" will be more likely to take changes in humidity as permission to bow a bit.

For more:

http://www.apawood.org/level_c.cfm?c...ub_ply_libmain

"I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

The more plys the more stable it is (in general)