Thread: Issues with PSI (Penn state industries)

Issues with PSI (Penn state industries)

I've ordered a few hundreds worth pen kits from Penn state industries last month, many of them are the starter kits, which come with the drill bits, bushings, etc. The drill bits are very low quality, there is one oversized. Some high end pen kits are very impressive though.

Now, I am trying to figure out the Polaris pencil kits, I hope some one on the forum can shed some lights.

I ordered both Polaris pen kit, and pencil kit, the pen kits is ok, but the pencil kit has a gap between tip and tip nut, pls see the picture below.

Left one is pen, and right one is pencil.

One closer picture:

After I spoke to the tech guy from PSI and showed the pictures above, he feel that's my assembling issue, and sent me one sample, the tip and tip nut closes nicely:

So, I tried again, and send them the pictures below, I can go that far, and leave a gap. I ordered 3 black titanium Polaris Pencil kits, and they are all the same thing.

I took the gold plated aparts from the sample one, and mixed with my black titanium, it is a lots better, even there is very tiny gap (about 1/32 to 1/64) though.

I called the tech guy, and asked him if he can try to put one polaris black titanium together, so he can see the same issue. But he insist that they sold so many, and never heard this issue reported by others. He asked me to tell him which parts is wrong, so he can send it to me, however, I have no clue on which part is wrong.

They agreed I can return, if not their issue, they will refund back. Since I am in canada, if consider shipping/duty, I hesitate if I should return rather than get the problem fixed.

Did I make any mistake on the assembling? If that is parts issue, can you suggest which part is wrong? Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks
    Last edited by Zhi Tian; 04-28-2010 at 8:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhi Tian View Post
    After I spoke to the tech guy from PSI and showed the pictures above, he feel that's my assembling issue, and sent me one sample, the tip and tip nut closes nicely:
    My favorite response - Blame the customer.

Can you compare the pieces from the one that works to the ones that don't. Seems it would be very clear, but who knows, I've never put one of these pens together.

I have made a lot of PSI Polaris pencil kits without any problems. Are you trimming the blanks properly?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parrish View Post
    I have made a lot of PSI Polaris pencil kits without any problems. Are you trimming the blanks properly?

That's good to hear some one has successful experience. Is there any tricky to trim the blank, I just made it exact the same as the tube. Also, you can see in the picture, the tip cannot go higher, as the thread stopped it only that far.

Do you mind to open your pencil, and check how far yours go?

Zhi, I don't have any finished pencils left at the moment but I believe I have a couple of kits and I will try to make one tomorrow.

I have no experience with these, but I have a thought. Could it be a batch issue? If you ordered all of yours simultaneously, they could all be from a defective batch. The one he got off the shelf may be from a different batch, and therefore okay.

If you have the batch information, maybe ask the tech to see if he can get one from the same batch from his stock, and see if it still works.

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

I purchased 2HP canister type dust collector from Penn State. That was my first and last purchase from them. Never again I will buy from them. Very poor quality of packaging and poor service.

Zhi, I don't have any finished pencils left at the moment but I believe I have a couple of kits and I will try to make one tomorrow.

thank you, I think if you can show me how close you can put the tip and tip nuts together, I will see the answer. I strongly believe the part aren't matched, but has to prove to PSI.

zhi, Here is the pencil I just finished (5-1) and it went together perfectly! If you squared the blank off correctly than your problem is in your assembly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

zhi, Here is the pencil I just finished (5-1) and it went together perfectly! If you squared the blank off correctly than your problem is in your assembly.

Thanks, Rob,

I am very sure the square off blank isn't an issue, I made some Polaris pen from PSI on the same order, it went ok. I believe that's pencil kit hareware issue, as the pen tip can't go higher enough. I couldn't see yours as it is already assembled.

I will return it any way. Thanks for the help.