Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fein multimaster ,rockwell sonicrafter,harbor freight

Question fein multimaster ,rockwell sonicrafter,harbor freight

i am going to be taking out a ceramic tile floor.i have a hammerdrill with widescraper blade.my question has any one used the fein ,rockwell or harbor freight tools with the rasp blade for removing the tile against the wall.how aggressive are these tools on thinset.i am trying to get it out from under the baseboard without removing the base.any thoughts or experience on these tools appreciated.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=67256

How could you go wrong... I think I saw a coupon for $34... somewhere... You could buy three of the cheap ones for the price of one of the name brands... I've got one and have used it for cutting like you described and used it in the sanding mode while refinishing stairs... works great!

I have the Fein model

I have the fein model, while it works great I would seriously look elsewhere when it comes time to replace it. I might sell it just to avoid using the ridiculously expensive blades. It works great, just way too expensive for cutters and accessories. Should have researched it better...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reinholtz View Post
    I have the fein model, while it works great I would seriously look elsewhere when it comes time to replace it. I might sell it just to avoid using the ridiculously expensive blades. It works great, just way too expensive for cutters and accessories. Should have researched it better...
    The Sears Nectec blades fit.

Whatever you do, if you get the HF, I can assure you that you will want to wear ear protection. I got the next-up model that has speed control.

Mike

The Fein (while I don't have one) will probably hold up tp doing a whole floor & it will do it pretty well.

While I love my HF tool & use it often,,,,I believe doing a whole floor would kill it in pretty short order.
    Plus - as expected @ the price point - the blades for it are about what you'd expect them to be for that price.

I'd have to ditto all the above about the HF tool for the Dremel one, which I have also,,,,except maybe the Dremel would die quicker.

However - having said that - @ the price of the HF & with HF's liberal return policy (just hang on to the rcpt.), even if you killed 10 of them, you'd still be ahead of the Fein pricewise.
    You could always pick up two or three of the HF ones and alternate between them to give them time to cool down, I guess - @ least that's what I'd do.

Also - if you do go that route - pick up some of the leather workgloves HF has & as mentioned some ear protection.

I'm also going to toss out that you'll want to wear a respirator.
    I didn't, back last Summer when I was doing a lot of dusty removal w/mine & have been hacking a coughing ever since.

Try doing the tile removal before you spend money on a tool. You might be surprised and find the tiles will come out with just a hammer and thin wide chisel. I can't tell you how many tools I've bought in anticipation of a need that didn't happen. The marketing of these multi task tools has been so powerful and insidious we all believe they can do anything and we can't live without them.
    fmr

One other thing... and someone brought this up when I asked about these type tools, is what is your tile size? It would seem to me anything bigger than 2x2 won't come up since the blades are not that big.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    The Sears Nectec blades fit.
    Also the Bosch blades, as well as the Dremel.

I have a Fein, have had for 13 years, used on the job whenever it is the toll for the job. I don't build houses with it like the adds suggest, but it has been used. It still runs just as well as when I bought it. I have used the HF, Bosch and Dremel that others have just to see how they work, and there is no comparison in my opinion.

But... I am a pro and also a tool fanatic so for me I would still buy the Fein. If you feel you would not get much use out of it or can not afford the Fein, then I would consider the options. Of the options that I have used the Bosch would be my second choice.

tile

i am only going to use the cutter along the edges.i will take up the field tiles with the hammer drill and scraper blade.

Blog Entries
    just a note for those that dont know, there is a company out there that makes
    attachments for reciprocating saws such as scrapers, chisels, wire brushes, etc...

pretty inexpensive and looks like they would get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Also the Bosch blades, as well as the Dremel.

I have a Fein, have had for 13 years, used on the job whenever it is the toll for the job. I don't build houses with it like the adds suggest, but it has been used. It still runs just as well as when I bought it. I have used the HF, Bosch and Dremel that others have just to see how they work, and there is no comparison in my opinion.

But... I am a pro and also a tool fanatic so for me I would still buy the Fein. If you feel you would not get much use out of it or can not afford the Fein, then I would consider the options. Of the options that I have used the Bosch would be my second choice.

Larry,

You mention that Bosch blades and attachmemts fit the Fein, if that is so where do you acquire the blades and so forth. I have a Fein but I've never seen a Bosch or seen one advertised. If you could, could you post a link or let me know where you have purchased the blades?

thank you

I love my older model Fein. The blades are just round hole. Will Sears,Bosch,and Dremel fit the older model?

The Fein oscillates 2 X as fast as the others. It costs money,but I've used mine a lot,and no wear yet. It will cut where nothing else will when doing trim work,etc,where you can only plunge into a cut.

Don't get the stainless steel scrapers or saws. They are useless. I took a wide piece of carbide and silver soldered it to a blue steel scraper blade for cutting the very hard old paint off of machine tools. It even would scrape off steel if not careful !!!

Real old high quality machinery had a very hard undercoat of nearly paint remover proof material that is very hard.

I have the HF

I have the HF and have peeled old liquid nails adhesive off like it was warm butter. Also used it to cut durock with a scraper blade. worked great both times,

I was about to buy a dremel a few months ago but ran into issues when I was looking for a blade that would cut ferous metals. I have a couple of uses for the tool that involve cutting old nails, screws, and bolts. Does any one know of and have used a blade that cuts ferous metals with any of the tools other than the fein. And does it easily and does not dull quickly. The cases I have in mind a sawzal will not work. Sorry if this is a high-jack. I will not spend the money for a fein, I will not used the tool enough to get $300 out of it.