Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabinetmaker Phillips screwdrivers

Cabinetmaker Phillips screwdrivers

Is there such as thing as a cabinetmaker Phillips screwdriver? How can there be - they were invented in 1930 by Henry Phillips for car assemby lines for the extra speed with which they could be fastened. Frankly I think that they are awful looking and I avoid using them when I can. But they are difficult to avoid, and I have looked far and wide for an attractive set of Phillips screwdrivers that would not look out of place in my shop.

I have a very nice set of flat bladed screwdrivers that are marked "Made in Sheffield". I bought them on eBay many years ago and other than that have no idea by whom they were made. I recall seeing something similar at Garrett Wade. They have what looks like Beech handles. These are oval, comfortable, and provide good torque.

Last year I posted an article in which I hollow ground the blades: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...urnscrews.html

For Phillips screws I have largely relied on a couple of Stanley Yankees ...

My search for decent Phillips screwdrivers has now come to an end. I was brousing through the Lee Valley catalogue (as one does) when I came across, firstly, their Lifetime screwdriver shanks (these are handleless) and, secondly, individual Octagonal Boxwood Chisel Handles . To my eye these looked like a match made in heaven.

They arrived yesterday. The handles are English Boxwood. They feel comfortable and grippy in the hand, which is important for screwdrivers (whose shafts should not be round). Fir thise wanting to replicate these, I bought the handle sizes based on the recommended ferrule size for the screwdriver shafts.

OK, so what do these look like? Large, medium and small ...

At least I do not need to hide these out of sight.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    They Look great! I have wanted to pick up a complete set of those screwdriver shafts and turn my own handles for them... I just have to get good enough at turning that I can make a matching set of handles.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Isn't the idea of "cabinet maker's PHILLIPS screwdrivers" a little strange ? On anything decent,I never want to use Phillips screws,except on things like kitchen cabinets. Guess I'm a snob. Of course,it's getting harder and harder to find slotted screws,and next to impossible to find unplated slotted wood screws.

I'm considering starting to sell off some of my thousand pounds of still boxed 1950's slotted wood screws.

Now all you need is a set of square drivers (Robertson).

Those LV ones you assembled do look nice, like they belong. Thanks for showing them off to us.

Very nice work Derek.

I've always been tempted to buy a spare set of cabinetmaker's screwdrivers and gringing Phillips tips on them.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Isn't the idea of "cabinet maker's PHILLIPS screwdrivers" a little strange ? On anything decent,I never want to use Phillips screws,except on things like kitchen cabinets. Guess I'm a snob. Of course,it's getting harder and harder to find slotted screws,and next to impossible to find unplated slotted wood screws.

I'm considering starting to sell off some of my thousand pounds of still boxed 1950's slotted wood screws.
    Hi George

I totally agree. I hoard slotted screws and only use them where they may be visible as they are now very hard to find. Phillips screws get used where they are unseen.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I hesitate to start selling my screws because: Some are clean,and some are in various stages of rusty; they are in original boxes,some of which are coming apart; I have used a few screws from some boxes,and I'm not willing to count 144 (old screws were sold in grosses,not 100 like now) screws out each time I sell a box. Someone's going to complain if they are missing a few screws. For the prices,my labor isn't worth counting them; most are larger sizes,like 1 1/2",2",etc. I have only 3/4" #5 in a small size. Also have boxes of beautiful fire blued round heads,but only 1 size.

I bought about 4000# of screws at the auction of an old ship fitting company in Hampton. It was like a trip back in time. They had bilge pumps for Liberty ships. There were wonderful chrome plated bronze fittings for the old mahogany runabouts. It was amazing. Jon and I peddled screws to every museum we could find. for some time.

OK, I am going to bite here and ask a stupid question. What is the difference in an older cabinet maker screwdriver and say an older craftsman screwdriver. I know they have the flat spot below the handle (but I do not know why). I am also just going to assume better quality/metal but is there something else? Thanks, and sorry if this falls into the stupid question category .

I am not sure what you mean by an "older craftsman screwdriver". Please clarify.

The flat spot below the handle is to apply a wrench to if you need more torque. The oval handles are for a better grip. However,I knew an old gunsmith who discarded those oval or flat handle screwdrivers back when they were common. He liked round handles better.
    Last edited by george wilson; 04-28-2010 at 8:31 PM.

May I follow up with a slightly off-topic question?

Did all of those old oval-handled screwdrivers have tips shaped like chisels? Or have I just stumbled on several in a row that were like that? If so, I suppose they work well in a slotted screw? I haven't been able to decide it I want to grind one flat-sided like a modern screw driver or leave it alone.
    And...I sometimes prefer the oval handles because they register the blade in my hand. No thinking; I just pick it up and my right brain remembers how to hold it.

The BEST tip for a slotted screw is like the magnetic tipped screwdriver sets like Brownell's Gunsmith Supply sells. Their tips are hollow ground so that they do not make a lip of sharp,raised metal along the screw's slot. On fine guns,or fine work you definitely do not want buggered up screws. those Grace screwdriver sets are good screwdrivers,and a set is pretty cheap. They have their tips specially ground for not damaging fine gun screws. they have square wooden handles.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Sansom View Post
    May I follow up with a slightly off-topic question?

Did all of those old oval-handled screwdrivers have tips shaped like chisels? Or have I just stumbled on several in a row that were like that? If so, I suppose they work well in a slotted screw? I haven't been able to decide it I want to grind one flat-sided like a modern screw driver or leave it alone.
    And...I sometimes prefer the oval handles because they register the blade in my hand. No thinking; I just pick it up and my right brain remembers how to hold it.
    Hi Russell

As George says.

Follow the link I posted above to explain this, and to show you how I fixed my set of "chisel" screwdrivers. I think these days most come that way.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Sorry George, by older craftsman screwdriver I meant my set of Sears, Craftsman drivers I bought in the late 70's. Still have them but they look pretty much like modern screwdrivers so I guess I could have just said a sears screwdriver.

As far as the flat spot for a wrench. I guess I always assumed that was the case but this confirms it for me.

I am seriously thinking of getting a set of the LV driver shanks and turning the handles as well. It would be nice to have handles that fit my paws .

Thanks, John....

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by an "older craftsman screwdriver". Please clarify.

The flat spot below the handle is to apply a wrench to if you need more torque. The oval handles are for a better grip. However,I knew an old gunsmith who discarded those oval or flat handle screwdrivers back when they were common. He liked round handles better.

Quote Originally Posted by john davey View Post
    OK, I am going to bite here and ask a stupid question. What is the difference in an older cabinet maker screwdriver and say an older craftsman screwdriver. I know they have the flat spot below the handle (but I do not know why). I am also just going to assume better quality/metal but is there something else? Thanks, and sorry if this falls into the stupid question category .
    A "cabinet", or "cabinet tipped" screwdriver has a tip that is consistent with the shank diameter of the screwdriver, I assume to fit within a counterbored screw hole. The Craftsman screwdriver has a flared tip which would preclude it's use in such an application. The flat that is found on turnscrews, I have been told, is for the application of a wrench or pair of pliers when additional torque is needed. I don't know how historically accurate this is, but it's the best explanation I've heard.

Derek, I like the "London Pattern" screwdrivers, but, why not just turn your own handles?

Derek,

I also quite like your "London pattern" screwdrivers. After looking an the handles on Lee Valleys website something that has long puzzled me came to mind. Why do manufactures tend to reduce the size of the handle as the shaft size decreases while the size of the hand of the owner generally remains constant?