Thread: Layering and vector cutting

Layering and vector cutting

Hey Folks!

I ran into a problem the other day when running a combined raster/vector job. I'm running Corel x4 and an epilog mini 35watt with updated print driver and firmware. I have also been using Corel now for many years.

Here's what happened. I had a shape I was going to both raster mark and cut-out and then overlayed it with another element that had no vector cutting. I had assumed that any vector line placed behind another element would only cut along the exposed lines, leaving the covered portions alone. Unfortunately that was not the case and it cut along all of the vector lines, even if hidden, and ruined the piece.

Now I can start breaking up my art so that this would work properly, but that just adds time to the job. Is this the way the print driver sees the vector objects and is there an easy way to get around it?

thanks.

bc
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Unlike bitmaps for engraving that can be covered up, vectors always run. You can use color mapping to set the speed to 100 and the power to 0 though, and it will quickly go through the motion without actually cutting into it. That is, if I understand the question correctly.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Bruce

It sounds like you may not have turned off the vector layer before sending it to the laser.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

You will have to use the virtual segment delete tool and use your overlapping graphic as the boundaries for trimming the vector that lies underneath it.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Unlike bitmaps for engraving that can be covered up, vectors always run.
    I would consider that a "bug" (or maybe "BUG!!") except that it appears to be universal across all laser/driver vendors and versions.

Any clue how it became the standard? Or is it really that hard to program hidden-line-removal into the driver?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Thanks Bill

Your video tutorial provides me a short-cut to the process. I guess I'll have to keep this "feature" in mind for future jobs.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Bruce
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I would consider that a "bug" (or maybe "BUG!!") except that it appears to be universal across all laser/driver vendors and versions.

Any clue how it became the standard? Or is it really that hard to program hidden-line-removal into the driver?
    I suppose raster works that way because it is likely a simple algorithm to overlay two bitmaps, and then do a binary comparison of the layers. If the front-layer "dot" is white, then it overrides any black dots underneath, and will not print/laser that dot.

But to do that with a vector shape, it would need to determine the coordinates of the the "intersections" between the vector and the bitmap, and try to clip out parts of the vector that shouldn't be there. This would probably not be that trivial. Perhaps even impossible with complex images.

A lot of CorelDraw clipart has this problem. If you look at the colored image it looks fine, but it is probably comprised of a lot of overlapping filled shapes. It can take a lot of work to prepare such a vector image for lasering.

It seems to me that Universal had an option in my first machine called clipart mode which would solve this problem. It's been a while and I'm a little vague on it. Maybe Mike Mckenzie can weigh in.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    It seems to me that Universal had an option in my first machine called clipart mode which would solve this problem.
    That option still exists...I'll have to try it. My recollection from the docs made it sound like it was for something else though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    It's been a while and I'm a little vague on it.
    There's a lot of that going around.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.