Thread: Workbench design question

Workbench design question

Having finished the shop expansion, I have a 16 foot wall where I plan to build a workbench. The chop saw will sit on top. Under the workbench I plan to add a series of drawers (rated at 100 lbs each) and pull out shelves (shelf mounted to drawer slides and rated at 100 lbs each).

I am planing to build the frame out of 2x4s half lapped together, forming what I call the square donut. On each side I am thinking of gluing and screwing 3/4 inch BC plywood (construction grade). Each side will be about 2 feet deep by 3 feet high. Cutting plywood will leave a lot of scrap. Then I got to thinking, could I use the left over scrap as well.

So, my question: Instead of having a 2foot x 3 foot plywood, would 3 1foot x 3 foot panels work?

Drawing:

Thanks in Advance,
    Jesse

I'd skip the 2x4 frame, and just go with 3/4" sheet goods for the cabinet sides. You might check out this video on the woodwhisperer site where Mark builds an assembly table base out of sheet goods. If you stick with the 2x4 frames, what's the point of 3/4 inch panels? If they are simply providing closure for the cabinet, you could probably use 1/2".

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-19-assembly-table-stand/

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    If you stick with the 2x4 frames, what's the point of 3/4 inch panels? If they are simply providing closure for the cabinet, you could probably use 1/2".
    the 3/4 inch ply provides a surface to screw the drawer slides into. With each drawer expected to carry 100 pounds of weight (think of a drawer full of marbles), I want something that screws will not pull out of.

You won't pull drawer extensions out of 1/2 plywood unless you grossly over weight the drawer.

I am with the other Joe on this one. Skip the 2x4 frame. Make a series of modular boxes (basically ugly kitchen cabs) and install them. It gives all the strength needed, likely less material and easier assembly and it would be easier to disassemble if needed later.

There are a lot of ways to attack this problem but I would build a seperate toe kick and build my boxes butt jointed and screwed / glued with a face frame. Attach a back and they are extremely strong.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    You won't pull drawer extensions out of 1/2 plywood unless you grossly over weight the drawer.

Joe
    I can get 1/2 inch plywood in several grades. Big Box store has 3 ply sheathing or 4 ply plywood. The wood store has 5 ply + veneers.

Do I need more than 3 plys? $17 for a 3 ply is in the budget, $35 for a 5 ply is more than I want to spend.

--Jesse