Thread: Pre Stain Conditioner Question

Pre Stain Conditioner Question

Hi everyone, I just finished putting on a pre-stain conditioner on a Cherry blanket chest I made for my cousin. After doing so, I noticed a few scratch marks that I'd like to remove. Can I sand the area and then apply the conditioner again to that area to fill the pores or is that something I wouldn't want to do? Personally I wouldn't put any stain on Cherry to begin with but that's what she wants so that's what she's getting! Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sorry all. This should have gone in the Finishing forum. I didn't know how to move it so I posted it there after I noticed the mistake.

What kind of pre-stain conditioner? There are a lot of different things out there. I assume you are using some kind of thinned finish (likely shellac) as the conditioner regardless of what it is sold as.

If that is the case you can probably wash it well with DNA and then sand out the scratch and re-apply.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

If you have not stained - but merely conditioned - yes, you can and should resand the problem areas. I read an article in FWW a few months ago that concluded shellac is the best prestain conditioner for cherry.