Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Kitchen Cabinets

Cherry Kitchen Cabinets

First post. I've been lurking and learning for a while. For those of you that live in central Iowa, I thought the attached auction notice might be of interest. I can't vouch for either the equipment or the owner, so it is what it is.
    While I've been learning, I also built kitchen cabinets for myself. I intentionally used #2 cherry because I like the interesting defects.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome, and nice cabinets and work!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Dont take everything when you go to the auction. I will be sending my dad in my place to look at a few things. They are in Marshalltown while I sit here in Oklahoma.

cabinets

rod i really like those cabinets nice job.number 2 cherry has some nice character.

Cab

Welcome Rob to the Creek,defects??? Heck,you took #2 cherry and turned it into musical instrument grade wood.Fantastic---Carroll

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the creek. Your cabinets look great. What type of finish did you use?

Sam

Thanks all, for the compliments on the cabinets.
    Sam - with re: to the finish, I brushed General Arm-R-Seal, two coats gloss then two coats satin.

Rod, thanks for the response. I am in the process of building my kitchen now. I am using riff sawn red oak. I really like the way your #2 cherry turned out. It looks outstanding. I am also using General Arm-R-Seal. I did not try brushing. I am wiping it on. I don't like the wiping process. I am going to try brushing. Did you lay everything flat to brush?

Thanks again, Sam

Rod -

Beautiful cabinets - excellent work and the cherry is terrific. Heck - the whole kitchen is a knockout!

Sam -

I've use Arm-R-Seal too and for the final finish: take some of their "Orange Oil" with 600 grit sandpaper and wet sand......smooth as silk and smells good also!

Roy - A big thanks.

Sam - Yes, I laid it flat, at least everything I could. This obviously took a while because I waited until the next day to flip the pieces to do the other side. I used a foam brush and laid down a medium thick coat. Mine flattened nicely but didn't start looking good until the third or fourth coat. I scuff sanded between coats w/ 220 between coats 1 & 2, then 320 after that. Where I had to do vertical surfaces, I felt like I needed to use a lighter coat to avoid the sags and runs.

Rob, wow....just outstanding! What did you build the boxes with? How about shelving?

Thanks-
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Scott - Except for the ends that show, the boxes are 3/4 maple veneer ply, basically using Marc Sommerfeld's T&G method of cabinet construction. I used maple because it was on sale. Otherwise I would have used birch veneer. The shelves are the same 3/4 maple ply with a cherry edge band on the edge that shows. I don't have detailed photos of the construction, but I attached a few pics of nearly finished mock-ups. I hope that answers your question.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roy, thanks for the tip on the Orange oil.

Rod, thanks for the information. I used it on vertical surfaces and had to use a rag and put really thin coats. It takes a lot of coats that way. I almost have my upper cabinets finished. I will try the foam brush, and lay them flat.

Thanks again, Sam

Rod, the additional photo's look great. I am also using Marc's T&G system. It really makes a strong cabinet. What type of drawer slides did you use, and where did you get them?

Sam

15. Rod,
    I live in Des Moines. Thanks for posting the auction. I may be there. Not that I need anymore tools, but has that really stopped any of us from buying more
    Nice work on the kitchen. Where do you buy wood? I don't like whats at Menards, but the stuff at the woodsmith store seems expensive. Thanks!