Thread: Opinions on Craftsman Planer

Question Opinions on Craftsman Planer

I am looking at getting a Benchtop Planer. I have, of course considered the DW 735. I know it would be an excellent choice. However, I am just setting up a home workshop for the first time in many years and want as many tools as I can get for my budget. That said, I am also considering the Craftsman 12 1/2" Planer #21758
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0P#reviewsWrap
    It regularly sells for $279 and can often be purchased on sale for even less. According to their website, after 27 reviews it has a 4.5/5.0 rating. While I'm sure it is not as good as the DeWalt, for the difference I can get a decent bench sander. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this tool.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Blog Entries
    My primary area of concern here would be the lack of a carriage lock. You can find many posts here from folks who have abandoned similar machines as they just can't get consistent, reliable performance from them.

I am all for getting the most bang for your buck and the DW 735 has gotten priced way too high IMHO. My dad has one and it is a beautiful little beast but, he paid about $350 at a show back when they were about $450 (which was getting pretty high already). I went with the 734 and have been happy with it but I believe it has gotten high also.

None of this really helps you other than to recommend against a machine of that design that does not lock the carriage. JMHO, others opinions will vary. Good luck and enjoy the hunt (its half the fun).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I would avoid a machine without a carriage lock myself. I have the DW734, and I like it. More than the Craftsman, but cheaper than the 735.

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Ditto on the carriage lock. I have the ridgid tp1300 with a carriage lock and the few times I've forgotten to engage it, I have gotten snipe.