Thread: Cermark & tile effects

Cermark & tile effects

A funny thing happened when I was trying to see how cermark would act on a customer's tile. I sprayed ceramic cermark on the tile lightly (slightly see through) and burned it at the recommended settings. It made a green mark, very permanent.

I then used nothing and burned it at the same settings, 20 speed/50 power and got a white mark, also permanent.

Then I put the cermark on more thickly (not see through) and got a black mark.

This could be useful for making several tones on one tile, yes?

Any lines you see on the tile are from me - I started and stopped the job at the beginning because I didn't wait for it to warm up so one stripe got hit twice. The black mark was uneven from me not spraying, just brushing to test.

I'm not sure what kind of tile this is, he said it is "just ceramic tile", it says made in Italy on the back and is beige colored under the glaze.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I agree Dee, funny things happen with Thermark (haven't used cermark, but I don't think there a difference) Question is if the results are reproducable and controlable. It's probably because you sprayed it on very lightly. When I use a brush to apply it, and wash out the brush in a jar the water look a bit green, I think they add some green and blue pigments for the black color. With the brownish looking Thermark for glass, you can get different effects by adjusting the power either you get a dark brown or a almost golden look.

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

So the customer chose the greenish version, but also wanted the black for making some small insets, so I ended up making another tile. Simple, just letters, but they're very excited about their first house. And $80 per tile to me!

You're right, Andrea, the thickness of application does the trick. Getting it consistently thin or thick is eyeball-dependent.

cheers, dee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee, did you apply it with airbrush ?

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Weissenseel View Post
    Dee, did you apply it with airbrush ?
    Yes, airbrush...

And then they wanted another one done. So 3 tiles for what started out as one... yes! The contractor wanted to know if I would work with him on other jobs. I have to remind myself I'm retired.

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee, I can't be sure from the picture, but this looks like one of the porcelain blend tiles that hit the market a number of years ago. More durable than ceramic but giving the look of natural stone. I don't know if this information is helpful or not, but thought it might be.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 04-22-2010 at 10:44 AM.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Dee, I can't be sure from the picture, but this looks like one of the porcelain blend tiles that hit the market a number of years ago. More durable than ceramic but giving the look of natural stone. I don't know if this information is helpfu or not, but thought it might be.
    You are probably correct, oh wise one! The customer's wife said the store told them it was porcelain. It's nice and smooth on the surface.

Good eye!

dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Nice effect, and nice font, too. What font is it?
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bull View Post
    Nice effect, and nice font, too. What font is it?
    It's called Waterlily, seems to be popular with folks. Fancy but readable.

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee - I'm curious...how was the customer displaying this sign. Outside for everyone one to see, or indoors.

Tim
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

He installed them inside, one in a border going around the entrance area and one inside a "mud room" which is a big closet room for taking off boots and snow gear. The single letters are going on either side of the shower entrance.

dee

Red Coin Mah Jong