Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stanley 750 Chisel

Beware the old but high-end chisel with a warped back. It may have been burned on somebody's grinder who then tried retempering it.

Personally, I don't have any chisel sets matched by brand....it was hard enough to get all the sizes and match the style, thickness and length. If cosmetics are a concern then new handles and a little Oxphoblue can cure most of that. Here's a nice, made-up set of 11 firmer gouges with only two or three that match by brand (Buck and Greenlee).

While collector favorites change subject to whim, this old list of high-end chisels still applies. While I have several Stanleys, I can't get excited about them. I still consider old Greenlee, PS&W and Buck the best values, and Swan, Witherby, Gillespie and New Haven Edge government contracts the best chisels. If you have the bucks, tho....modern Barr's are a little short for my taste but as good as any chisel ever made.

Anything marked "Stanley", "Witherby", "Winchester", "Chas Buck" or "L&IJ White" is generally going to a collector for too high a price unless they are part of large, handleless lots, along with some Swan's. Older (not newer) Greenlee and Buck Bros, New Haven Edge Tool, Ohio Tool, DR Barton, Underhill, Union Hardware, Jennings, GI Mix, Shapleigh Hardware, Eric Anton Berg, Dickerson, Gillespie, Dixon, PS&W or PEXTO, Robt Duke, Fulton, Merrill, Butcher, Stiletto, Hibbard OVB, Simmons Keen Kutter, Lakeside and several other old makers and hardware store brands are every bit as good as the collector prizes and are much less expensive. Most unmarked chisels of that era were usually made by one of the above makers for a hardware distributor and are also generally excellent.

The only really poor socket chisels I've observed are newer Craftsman (older socket Craftsman were often made by Greenlee) of chrome-vanadium steel, some "Eclipse" brand and the occasional Stanley Defiance that refuse to take an excellent edge.

Top-Tier:

Witherby
    Swan
    Gillespie
    New Haven Edge gov't contracts marked "USA" or "USN"

Hard to Call between First and Second....but always most excellent:

DR Barton
    PS&W or PEXTO
    Greenlee thin paring chisels
    Buck gouges

Second-Tier:

Stanley
    Stilletto
    New Haven Edge
    White
    Older Buck (older chisels will have sockets, which went out around the time drop forging did)
    Older Greenlee
    Older Craftsman made by Greenlee
    Winchester
    Ohio Tool
    Wye
    Chas Buck
    Douglas (precurser company to Swan)
    GI Mix
    Eric Anton Berg
    Underhill
    Jennings
    Sargent
    KeenKutter
    Hibbard OBV
    Dixon
    Robt Duke
    Fulton
    Merrill
    Butcher
    Lakeside
    Union Hardware
    Dickerson
    Shapleigh Hardware (Diamond Edge brand)

Third-Tier (Don't buy)

Stanley Defiance
    Eclipse
    Newer Greenlee, Buck or Stanley socket chisels made in the 1960's and later.
    Any chisel with a vanadium finish like used on mechanics tools.

Al the hardware store brands were made by a larger chisel manufacturer. Greenlee seems to have made a lot of them. One store bought from Witherby....Shapleigh?...but I don't remember which one. Shapleigh usually bought Sargent planes as house brands, and any chisel marked Winsted, Conn was made by Witherby.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 04-21-2010 at 12:55 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff