Thread: Advice please

Advice please

I am a hobby engraver but have been asked to create an outdoor memorial plate for a friend that recently passed away. Is there a "go to" laserable plastic that will withstand outdoor weather? It will be in Michigan so sun, rain, snow, cold, etc.

My intention would be to mount it on a cedar blank.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.
    Thank you,

Corian would be good. Otherwise check Rowmark engraving plastics marked for exterior use.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Rowmark's Metalgraph+ line is supposed to hold up to the weather (it has lasted two years in tropical light and salt air so far for me). However, it is easy to mar. If people are going to be touching or cleaning it very much it might not hold up.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

I'd suggest making a bronze casting if budget permits. I use Matthews. It's costly, but is nice and lasts forever. My next suggestion is IkonMetal from Ikonic. I used it. It was pretty decent but not fantastic. Otherwise, black marble engraves VERY nicely(no paint fill needed). Granite is more durable, but requires paint fill. Not the biggest deal in the world, but can be a royal pain. Corian is also a good suggestion as you can just paint fill it and sand it down afterwards. It cuts and routes not much different than wood. The cheapest, and easiest solution is some sort of plastic. If it's for a friend, I'd stay away from a piece of plastic. If it's for a customers pet, plastic might be good enough.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Corian IS plastic. It is solid acrylic. It can be filled with solid surface adhesives if routed deep enough. Paint fill works also for engraving. Its good for 50 years or so outside (as reported in this forum)
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Blog Entries
    And engraved marble won't handle the outdoors very well...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Advice Please

I appreciate all of the feedback. I have never tried to engrave Corian. Some additional questions.

Will the paint fill hold up to weather?
    Is Corian available to purchase in smaller quantities for the engraving industry?

Thank you,