Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer K3 Winner, Grizzly G0623X, and Slider Size. Rikon?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Woolf View Post
    I am still intrigued by the Rikon, having talked with two satisfied owners. I would have to chop off some of the rip fence guide bars to make it work in my space. The price is such that if I end up hating it, I can sell it at a relatively small loss. My guess is that I would love it and not think about what I am missing not having the slider right next to the blade, and not having a scoring blade and riving knife.
    Thanks for the detail on the Rikon, not many on SMC have much experience with it. Also, I think Woodcraft has a deal on it right now for something around $1500 so take that into consideration as well.

Personally, I've decided on the Hammer Slider for my next saw.

Steve, also, as Shiraz said, you can search for specific Grizzly models and usually get lots of threads. Here's one with lots of pictures and discussion on the G0623X: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=g0623x
    Last edited by Tom W Armstrong; 04-23-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Add link to G0623X thread

2. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Woolf View Post
    Shiraz, will Grizzly provide contacts where customers can talk to owners and view Grizzly machines in their local area?

Yes, still standard operating procedure for us.

Call our toll free number and ask for a customer that is closest to you that has bought the machine you are interested in. If there is one close by, that has given their permission, we will give you the contact information and then you can speak to that person to get an unbiased opinion. "Unbiased" because we have no idea what they are going to say.

Choosing carefully

Steve,

Your idea of wanting to see the machines is a good one. Felder/Hammer, MM and Grizzly will all provide you with contact information for someone near you that owns the machines you're interested in.

I went this route when making my decision and can't stress enough how valuable it was. You can read internet postings and look at catalogues until you're blue in the face, but all of that pale's in comparison to being able to see and use one that is installed in a home shop.

+1 on Richard Link's advice about slider length too. I don't think I've ever heard someone complain that their slider is too long.

My garage is 19.5' front to back and I place my slider such that I can rip or crosscut a 8' long (or wide) board and the board will "just" clear the blade without me having to open the garage door. My slider is 9' long and I went with a saw/shaper and use it for both.

Aside from looking at the machines first hand, perhas the best advice I can give you is to choose your maching options carefully. You can always add extra extension tables or other doo-dads later. Adding machine options such as a longer slider, electronic height adjustments, more horsepower, variable speed motors, etc., can be done, but is very expensive. Take your time and choose what you want the first time.

From my experience, I'd steer you toward Felder/Hammer or Minimax. Having said that, I checked out the Grizzly offerings at AWFS last year in Vegas and was impressed. They look to be a good value for the money. Still, given that it's my last saw/shaper, I opted to go with a European manufacturer.

Regards,

John

Thanks for posting the link to my G0623X. It is a really nice saw and I have been really happy with it.

Regards!
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    Yes, still standard operating procedure for us.

Call our toll free number and ask for a customer that is closest to you that has bought the machine you are interested in. If there is one close by, that has given their permission, we will give you the contact information and then you can speak to that person to get an unbiased opinion. "Unbiased" because we have no idea what they are going to say.
    I called, and they had no users for me to contact. The more I study the market, the better the G0623x looks, for its narrower footprint and for its price. User posts are useful but limited in number. I still want to see one.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, relative to your question about the slider capacity, what kind of work you intend to do with it is going to affect your decision. For primary use as crosscutting you can get away with a lower capacity than you can if you intend to rip. I rip. Both sheet goods and solid stock. My slider is 8'6" and it meets my needs. The downside is that for that capacity, you need a total of 19' for slider wagon travel from end to end. I fortunately have that!!!

Jim, you're spoiled. I can only dream of such capacity.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Hammer K3 Winner, Grizzly G0623X, and Slider Size. Rikon?

Hi Steve,

I'm also in the market for a slider. When you view the Grizzly G0623X be sure to check the position of the sliding table support leg at the front of the saw (where you begin the cut). I think the support leg might interfere with the ergonomics of simply using the saw. I visited a Hammer B3 user and the slider does not have a supporting leg (as the Grizzly does). I found the ergonomics of the Hammer much friendlier. Hope this helps.

bill

Bought Sawstop

Friends,

Today I bought a Sawstop, professional model, 3hp 1ph 36"rip. Rented a van, drove about 70 miles to the nearest dealer that had one in stock, and jockeyed it into my (on grade) shop myself. I talked to 4 dealers. The item is fair traded so their prices were the same, the differences being in availability, distance, shipping and lead time. I called Sawstop tech support twice, once before the sale to check on weights and sizes of the packages, and once after to ask a question about attaching the mobile base. It was altogether a great day, and of course a great relief -- I will no longer obsess over the prospect of purchasing a sliding table saw. I will get some sleep.

My decision not to get a slider was largely based on my ability to handle the purchase, shipping, and setup myself, locally. And once set up, the cabinet saw will not hog shop space, and be easily movable. Of course there were other reasons...

A big factor was realizing I get my woodworking kicks mainly from hand work, and while I love my machines, I do not need better ways of machining wood. For the machine to replace my contractor saw, I need better dust collection, more stability and strength, and more safety. I did get excited about sliders, but only after I saw one in the Grizzly catalog -- I was not originally looking for more/better functionality. I am 68 years old, and want to work at a comfortable pace without the pressure of production schedules and with minimal overhead. I do not need to get the job done faster. Or even easier, for that matter. And I do not intend to build lots of casework, just one-off creative furniture and artistic pieces. After getting excited about what sliders can do with solid wood, I ultimately conclude that it's panel production they do best, and I'd have one for sure if I were in business doing that.

Some will laugh, knowingly, but I admit my wife had something to do with this. I actually asked her opinion, knowing that the technical issues would be given second priority. I needed that perspective. She was intrigued by the Sawstop hot dog demo. (Of course she was -- it's focus on security, not to mention phallic symbolism, is blatantly aimed at our women!). She pointed out that I play cello in amateur string quartets much more than I do woodworking, a consideration I had thought much about but had not let it pull me off the slider kick. Having her say it made a difference.

Industrialists need to get the best machinery wherever and from whomever it is sold, but as an individual I did not feel comfortable with the prospect of buying directly from a company based in Europe, particularly in a dubious economic climate that currently clouds the industrial machinery world. That's not to say that "made in USA" is important -- I don't think it is. What I feel is important is that the company is based in my own culture -- my geopolitical culture as well as the culture of the small scale woodworker -- and is focused on supporting it, and is successful doing that. Buying from a successful American company feels right to me. Dealing with U.S. reps who sell to the whole country from a distant location without sufficient or accessible display space, and who themselves experience culture clashes with their own European companies, is scary to me.

And finally, finding the saw actually in stock at a supplier I had already done some business with in the past, was irresistible.

Thanks to all the woodworkers across the country, from all walks of life, who were kind enough to share their slider experiences with me -- using Hammer, Minimax, Grizzly, Rikon, Casolin, and others, all quite pleased with their machines. And thanks to all who share on this forum. I look forward to keeping in touch. You all are really nice folks and I am happy to be in your company as a woodworker, if not a slider owner!

Steve

Congrats, I am sure you will love your saw. It is noce to compress from the analysis process, although I love it, the grind does get old!

Steve, I recently upgraded to a Felder KF700SP saw/shaper combo after 30 years of using cabinet saws. I did a ton of reading on the internet before calling Felder and SCMI/Minimax. I was pleasantly surprised by the helpfullness of both firms. In my research I found a couple of consistent themes.
    1) If ordering new, don't skimp on options. Buy all they you want because it's cost prohibative or impossible to add them later. Many folks said they skimped on options and then they ended up selling the first machine at a big loss and ordering another one configured the way they wanted. #1 reason was the slider was too short.
    2) Slide length is the hardest decision. Slider saws take a lot of room. Mine has a 9ft slider which allows me to have the fence on one end and cut a perfect edge on the 8ft side of a sheet of plywood. Also, many hobby owners evolve to using the slide for almost all cuts. The perfect edge off a slider is very addictive. Many of those who upgraded to a longer slider cited ripping hardwood as the main reason for getting a longer one. The saw I bought had 2600mm, 2800mm and 3000mm options. Some larger saws go as long as 3200mm. The 2800mm (9ft) and one reason is that you can run it front to back in most garages. I don't have mine set that way, but if I bought longer that would not be an option.

I saw a Felder 700 series on ebay that looked like it could be a deal as the seller had some very tough restrictions and didn't know what they were selling. In the end I was too gready and I lost the bid but that pushed me over the fence and firmly into the "I'm buying one" camp. I searched the used sites and found a really nice Felder KF700SP that was almost perfect for me at a really good price. When the site contacted the owner he changed his mind and didn't sell. I watched for a few more weeks and the Felder sales guy turned me on to a couple of used machine leads but one had too short of a slider and one was sold already. About a month into my search the Felder sales guy called and said they were having a big end of year sale that he could do a new one for about a grand more than a used one. I ended up ordering one and over a couple week period I added a ton of upgrades to it.

I'd say start by looking for a good used one. If you had the space, there are tons of really good saw only machines out there with 9ft or 10ft sliders. There have been quite a few since I ordered mine in Oct 09, and a few that made me regret ordering new. You can go pretty crazy on options, and I did. But, I don't regret it at all. Every time I go into the garage I smile, and every time I use it I have a huge grin.

DOH, just saw that you bought a Sawstop. Great saw, congrats. I had a SawStop ICS and I really liked it.

Steve, glad to hear you bought a new saw, I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much........Regards, Rod.

This was a good thread and lots of interesting points were made. Congrats on your new saw. I'm sure you will love it.

Just a quickie on the safety issue, from the perspective of someone who replaced a Sawstop ICS (original) with a Felder cf741 slider. I definately feel safer using the slider. I was a great fan of the sawstop brake feature although I never tripped in the entire time I had the saw. On the other hand, the brake doesn't protect you from kickback and projectiles. Yes, I was also impressed with the sawstop riving knife and guard system, which are also good. On the other hand, my hands basically never get even close to the business end of the Felder. Everything gets vac clamped to the sliding table (for the most part) and I happily push the carriage from the side a good several feet away.

An example: yesterday I was making tapered legs for a table. With the old saw, I had to run my tapering jig along the rip fence which put me in line with the outfeed end of the blade. With the slider, the taper jig attaches to the sliding table and I can taper legs in comfort and safety from several feet away.

At any rate, not trying to hijack the thread at this late date. I do think that sliders are inherently safer than standard cabinet saws. Now all we need is a slider with the brake feature....

Enjoy your new Sawstop!

There is a lot of good advice here. One option is to attend the IWF in Atlanta this August and look the machines over for yourself. This way you can get to touch and feel each make although not necessarily all models will be there. It is also a means to talk with other users at the show since generally, a number of owners have a tendency to congregate in the booths of the machine brands they own. At the show, sometimes you can swing a deal with a show machine so the dealer doesn't have to pay to ship the machine back to his showroom.

There has been a lot said about slider length and for good reason as it can make the difference between the saw doing what you need it to do or not. Be aware that just because a machine has a longer sliding table than another machine doesn't mean it has a greater capacity. What matters is how much of the table travels from the beginning of the cut to the cut clearing the back of the blade. A number of us slider owners use the sliding table to rip stock and the length of the rip in this manner is determined by the table size. I use the slide to process more solid stock than I do sheet stock and find the longer length the right choice for me. My table length is 3.3m and it will cut the full length of the table. The downside is that fully retracted, it is 3 inches from my garage door and fully extended to the blade change position, it is 3 inches from the back wall.

If you turn out to be one who likes to rip stock using the standard cabinet saw technique, you may be happier with the shorter sliding table since it will be more akin to a typical cabinet saw. Unfortunately, if you are like the rest of us, this is something you cannot answer until after you have made the purchase. I do encourage you to visit some hobbiest shops that have sliders, ask how they use it and what they do (or do not) like about it.
    Steve

Used Sliders

I have an SCMI 350N that I purchased used 3 years ago. It is a 2004 model. I paid $9000 USD for it. I could have easily bought a new Mini max for about the same price but this is double the saw. At the time they were about $16,000 new. It has a 10ft 6 in slider and has never let me down. I did pay to have an SCMI tech set the saw up when i got it home and in the past 3 years I have not had to adjust the miter guage and it cuts square every time. I use it mostly for cutting sheet goods. Altendorf sliders are readily available in the used market and I have seen WA 8's in the $8500 range and a year old. Alot of the bigger sliders are available only in 3 phase. I run a 20 hp Rotary Phase converter that I bought from American Rotary. An excellent company to deal with. The big advantage of 3 phase is that there is a lot of used equipment available in 3 phase and the prices are a lot better as there is not the same market as in single phase dominated by hobbyists who will pay exhoribant prices for used equipment.

Brian