Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Tool rest ? for Nova

DIY Tool rest ? for Nova

As those who own a Nova (and some who just KNOW stuff) know that the banjo is made for a 25mm post which is a real pain in the tail when searching the remnant piles at the local steel works! 1 inch is 25.4mm!

So my question is..... do I use 15/16 round stock, have 1" milled down, bore out the banjo itself? (NO buy a PM or Jet comments please)!

Any and all responses appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

MMc

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McAfee View Post
    (NO buy a PM or Jet comments please)!

Any and all responses appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

MMc
    Make up your mind!
    Change One Thing

Patience

and coarse grit sandpaper. 0.4mm is about .015". Unless you're using really high strength material, you could enlarge the 25mm bore, or reduce the 1" stock in a couple hours. Not perfectly round, but pretty close if you take your time.
    I've used this method a lot when the tolerance was not critical. A cheap cylinder hone in a drill may work, if the bore is not longer than the hone, though a 1" hone may be a little hard to find.(dunno, never looked).
    Mick

Where did you get this lathe new or used? if it is new it has a five year warranty call wood craft about it. The spec on there site states the it is a 1 inch post or hole.
    Toolrest:
    Length: 300 mm (12 in.)
    Shaft Diameter: 25.4 mm (1 in.)
    you could also take the bango to a metal shop and have them ream the hole out to 1 inch.

I bought it new about a month ago so I reckon it falls under the warranty, COOL! Actually I think I'll just take the banjo to a machine shop and have it reamed out to 1" so I can either make my own rests OR buy from the current makers!

George, I make up my mind and change it constantly.... keeps things interesting (especially for the wife)!

Thanks guys,

MMc

Mike - I have the Nova 1624 purchased a yr ago - I've made 6 tool rests using 1" round cold rolled stock - no problems - stock fits right into banjo without modification of either stock or banjo. My lathe specs list banjo as 1" or 25.4mm.
    Last edited by Steve Harder; 04-18-2010 at 5:16 PM.

McMaster-Carr

25mm

Unfortunately, it comes in 36" lengths. How many did you want to make?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#steel/=6pu4b7

If it were me, I would ream out the banjo hole and solve the problem once and for all. There's no point in putting up with the limited selection of tool options. A 1" reamer or even a brake-cylinder hone should take care if it. A machine shop could do it too if you are willing to pay for it.

I used 1" CR in my Nova DVR XP that is less than 6 months old!

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I wonder if Teknatool has problem with their recent run of banjos? I have a Nova XP made last spring, and have had no problems using 1" posts (Nova tool rest, Robust, and homemade.) We would like to hear from others purchasing Teknatool lathes in the past six months.

I agree with others that the banjo should be re-sized - but first I'd present the problem to Woodcraft.

- Ken -

11. nova

My dvr is two years oid and 1" fits fine.I make my own rest for bowls or any shape tat works.The 1" should fit

I've made about 8 different tool rests, all using 1" CR, and all have fit my DVR XP perfectly without modification. You might want to check your banjo to see if there is a burr that isn't allowing the post to go in.

Also, make sure you aren't trying to use hot rolled steel, as that will not have the precision that you need.

Matt

Yep 1" works well in my DVR not a problem at all. Either ream the banjo or call Tim Geist.

Ooopppppssss.... I just used my kids dig. mic. and it IS exactly one inch HOWEVER the steel bar I was sold as 1" is slightly larger! Hot rolled maybe?

I guess I'll return this over sized bar and get some cold rolled!

Thanks for all your replies!

MMc

Got my dvr just over a year ago...had some 1" stock laying around and made 3 toolrests. Worked just fine. I'd agree with checking for a burr or something or go back to WC. Have you put a dial caliper on it to check that way?