Thread: Books-printed in China

Books-printed in China

For most of my life I always read books while in the bathtub;and the books have never shown a problem with the exposure to steam.

Well, I just recieved a couple new woodworking books (a hardcover & a softcover)--and after having been in the tub but for a short time I could not help but notice that the pages had started to "shrivel up" a bit; this had never happened to me before while reading in the tub. Upon inspection, I found both books were printed in China. And these were not inexpensive books.

Are there any bookmakers/binding people here? I'm wondering if this is the result of a different printing process/paper quality used oversees.

Doug,
    Not necessarily an "overseas" phenomenon - depends on the type and weight of paper specified.
    Considering the additional shipping costs, a publisher would likely specify a lighter weight paper.
    Thick paper here has only been a sign of quality(?) for the last 40 years, quality books printed shortly after the war and earlier were often on paper thin enough to see your hand through. Roughly the weight of "airmail" writing paper if you are familiar with that.
    I come from a family of bibliophiles and taking a book into the humidity of the bathroom would have led to a sore bottom! Worse, my library privileges would have been curtailed(!!!)
    So, the curling due to humidity is due to the paper specified, not to the origin.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I have never heard of reading books in the bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I have never heard of reading books in the bathtub.
    I never heard of taking a bath, instead of a shower.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,
    In the early 70's I lived in England and the only place I found to take a shower was in a newly built hotel in London. I stayed there one night just to take a shower!
    BTW, Brits tend to relax and read in the bath - every place I stayed had a sliding shelf across the tub for books and whatnot.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I decided to try reading in the bath tub. Now my kindle doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    I decided to try reading in the bath tub. Now my kindle doesn't work.
    thanks for the laugh
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson