Thread: Material for Impact Engraving?

Material for Impact Engraving?

I met with a decorative concrete engraver today. He needs stencils cut out of a material that is 1/2" thick and the best I can describe it is that it appears to be made out of old recycled tires.

His engraver looks/acts more like a jackhammer......pounding out an image in the concrete. Therefore, he said wood would splinter. Acrylic would obviously shatter under the pounding.

So is there some type of reasonably priced hard rubber material that we can cut?

He pays anywhere from $40-$100/sq ft for SIMPLE designs.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Blog Entries
    I've seen the stencils... my parents had their back porch embedded with a design. You've pretty much nailed the description of the rubber. It's very flexible overall (you can bend a 4' square back upon itself without a problem), but it's also stiff enough to transfer the pattern with the pounding.

Considering the depth the pattern needs to be (some of those stencils have a 1"+ thick edge), though, I don't think the laser is the best tool. I would lean towards a slow-spinning rotary.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

There's a very good chance that these are hand cut.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Mike,

You can order these stencils from a catalog and they look formed, not hand-cut. My dad had a long conversation with the guys who did their porch. They were in a very closed mindset that only a couple of patterns could be made (evidently not the brightest bulbs in the pack), so when he showed them you could mix and match and angle them in different ways, they guys were ecstatic! They now took a couple thousand $s worth of patterns and could now create several times that amount. The stencils were expensive, so they didn't buy very many.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Steve

This company in the UK sells ready made stencils - check out their brochure.

http://www.creative-impressions.com/...encilcrete.pdf

And here is a US company that makes custom stencils as well.

http://www.decrete.com/gallery/custom-stencils/

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Meacham; 04-17-2010 at 9:04 AM.
    Trotec 25W Laser, ShopBot PRT Alpha 48 x96 CNC, Roland Vinyl Cutter, Compucarve CNC, Ricoh GXe7700s Dye-sub printer, Hotronix Clamshell Heat Press, Pad Printing Equip, all normal woodworking and electrical tools.

could you cut and stack thinner materials? I would consider cutting them with something like a V bit (something that would cut away a lot of material in a pass)
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve
    48" ValueJet, 54" Vinyl Cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Garrick David View Post
    could you cut and stack thinner materials? I would consider cutting them with something like a V bit (something that would cut away a lot of material in a pass)

That's what I was thinking......that I might be able to cut a thinner (say 1/4") material and glue it together.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Steve if your going to cut that much 1/4" rubber, I'm thinking your neighbors might be forming a lynch mob..

Rubber with holes in it could be responsible for taking you 'out' of this world too
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I agree Bill.....which is why I'm looking for an alternate material.

How about silicone ?

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

That might be a possibility. I have to stop by a plastics distributor today.....I'll see if they have any suggestions.

Steve

A monument supplier or a sandblasting media supplier is more likely to have answers.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7