Thread: Used Compressor?

Used Compressor?

As I once again seem to be "lightening" my purse in this crazy woodworking thing, I need to get a compressor for spraying and other light use. Ideally, I'd like to get a 5hp, 13 CFM@40 psi model--which should handle all my needs.

I've been looking at used models--and in my locality found a 20 yr old IR on Craigslist for $375 as follows:

"Ingersoll Rand 2-stage 175 p.s.i. upright air compressor. Pumps and holds pressure well; 10+ cfm @ 90 psi. 5 h.p. 220V single-phase motor rated at 24 amps. Pickup in Windsor."

Upon inquiry, I was told this compressor has seen only one owner, is 20 yrs old, and has seen light homeowner use. My question is--am I asking for trouble buying a "used" compressor such as this--what w/it being 20 yrs old? A new IR, with comparable specs (but only single stage)from Northern tool, is about $900 w/free shipping.

3 things to check:

1) Has the owner regularly drained the condensation from the tank? If you go look at it, get a little pressure in it and make sure there isn't a lot of water in the tank that blows out when you open the drain cock. A couple ounces would problably be fine, but anything more shows neglect.

2) Has the oil been changed on a somewhat regular basis? For light homeowner use it doesn't need to be changed too often, every few years or so. You do want to know that it's been changed since it was bought however.

3) Has the air filter been changed at any point? Pop the cover off the air filter and see how much filth the internals of the compressor have been exposed to.

Beyond that, you should be alright. I believe you can still get parts for those older IR compressors, and if the motor has lasted 20 years under light homeowner use, it'll probably last another 20 years under your use. A tank is a tank as long as it hasn't had standing water to accelerate rusting out. See how it holds pressure and if it does that you should be fine. $375 for a 2 stage upright seems to me to be an ok price.

You will probably get better and more answers in the "General Woodworking & Powers Tool" forum than you will in the finishing forum.

As for the IR you wont find many compressors better built.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 04-16-2010 at 8:38 PM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Back 25 some years ago when I was w/Builder's Square, we sold the heck out of IR 80gal, 5HP two stage compressors.
    Probably the exact same one you're looking at.

IIRC, those were/are rated for something like 15,000 hours @ 100% duty cycle.

Most were sold to "Homeowner Harry" types that seriously overbought them, simply because the price was right.

$375.00 is well within "gloat" territory for that compressor...

My only question would be, "Why are you still here & not out picking it up?"