Thread: buying lumber in Albuquerque

buying lumber in Albuquerque

For the Albuquerque crowd. I am moving out there soon and want to know what lumber prices are like? I live on OH right now and am thinking about buying some here before I move out.

Just a quick estimate on the main species (Maple, Cherry, poplar, etc)

Thanks
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

James, in a word, expensive, limited selection, limited number of retailers, and did I say expensive? If you can bring a truck load with you, do it!
    The last time I needed some decent QSWO I ended up at Alpine lumber in Santa Fe and paid ~ $8-$9 bf.

Sorry, New Mexico is not kind to woodworkers.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Not from NM, but the dryness is the same - just be prepared that what ever you haul out may check or split some as it drys even further in the drier southwestern air.

Good luck on your move. We have an ok selection of wood up in the SLC area - certainly not $9/bdft for QSWO. Ouch!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Blog Entries
    Start making very small items or buy a nice telescope (great star gazing in that area)

Your reaction is going to depend on where you're getting lumber now. If you can go to a small mill and buy un-graded or common hardwood and take care of the final drying yourself, then yes, you will be in for some sticker shock.

If you're buying retail in OH, then I don't think you'll see a huge difference. The large suppliers of kiln dried hard woods generally bring material in by train and the added cost is much less than the cost of trucking. One such business in Albuquerque is Lumber Products. I've never had any trouble wandering in and buying a few boards as a cash sale, but be prepared to keep your selectivity to a minimum - some yards really don't like this.

On the other hand, if you're driving out in an empty pick up anyway, then by all means stock up if you can get lumber for cheap. Air dried lumber in the Southwest will not even register on my meter after sitting a year or so (one of those led meters) - I should have practiced a little patience and saved the $80

Last time I bought 4/4 cherry it was around $6/bdft, walnut probably $8/bdft, poplar maybe $3/bdft (based on my not so good memory - you get what you pay for ). That was well over a year ago, I've been working on other types of projects a lot lately and haven't been buying wood.
    Last edited by John Downey; 04-26-2010 at 2:07 PM.

Last time I bought 4/4 cherry it was around $6/bdft, walnut probably $8/bdft, poplar maybe $3/bdft
    Those prices sound pretty much like the prices around here in the Peoples Republic of Northern Califorlornia. I just got a quote on Walnut a couple of days ago and it was $8.25 bd/ft. I haven't bought Cherry for a year or two, but I think I would really go for $6 bd/ft.

Wayne

btw, what part of town are you going to live in? I have not lived in Abq for a long time, but I was raised up near the Air Force base in "the heights".
    Last edited by Wayne Jolly; 04-28-2010 at 12:07 PM.

I can get cherry here for $3.15 and curly maple for $2.85. I am bringing about 600 bd ft with me
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

Southwest Lumber Sales -- James Mares is the owner. You can look up his # or PM me and I'll dig it up for you.

I think they mainly sell larger orders to local cabinet shops and woodworkers in northern NM, however they will work with you on smaller orders. Not too keen on letting you pick through their stuff however.

I recently bought some 4/4 QSWO for $4.65 bd/ft. Plainsawn white oak about $2.65, and 8/4 rift was about $5.65 bd/ft. Has quite a bit of domestic hardwood but no exotics. Also stocks a lot of different sheet goods.

Hope this helps.