Thread: Plane Line-Up

Question Plane Line-Up

Hello, I am a fairly long time lurker that posts very rarely but I need some advice.

First some background, I am new to woodworking and am in the process of adding the capability to work with rough lumber. I have decided to go the handplaning route since I have come to dislike the noise and dust of power tools and I find myself spending as much time setting up tools and jigs, as I do actually working on projects. Lastly I work in the garage which it right below my 3 year old daughters bedroom which makes working after 7:30 pm impossible.

So I have a couple of plane line-ups I was thinking of which would allow me to work quietly with rough lumber. They are all Veritas because I am Canadian and there is a Lee Valley in town and I like to support Canadian companies when I can.

So here is what I have come up with:
    I am settled on the BU Jointer and Jack and can afford only 2 of the following 4 planes, Small Plow, Skew Rabbet, Skew Block Rabbet, BU Smoother. What two should I buy to do the most quiet working I can?

I already have a LA Block plane, and have ordered a Bad Axe saw and MarkII honing jig and sharpening supplies.

I would go the small plow and bu smoother route! These are the one you will certainly use the most. Just my 2cents

Blog Entries
    I have said before that if I were starting out again, I'd limit my bench planes to three - the LV BU family. With other blades, you can opt for anything you need. I have LN and LV planes and while both are premeir, those three would take care of everything I need (in bench planes) and take up less room and in the end, is cheaper than trying to fit the bill with 7 or 8 planes in the same line-up.

A good block is a give me regardless of which brand you choose, but beyond that, I'd wait and determine which specialty plane fits your bill the best.

I would have to go with the Smoother and a block plane. I use my block plane all the time so going with 4 planes and one of them not a block plane would be a hindrance to me.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Save the cash & use what you have. When you have a project that requires those tools then get them. For the most part, the LA jack is a good smoother. The small plow is pretty much limited to cutting small grooves - I use it mostly for drawer bottoms.

I'd say a router plane is more useful. If you want the skew block on a budget, get it & sell your LA block. The skew rabbet plane is pretty much my go to plane for sinking rabbets. I suppose one could use a skew block but it's nowhere near the speed of the other.

So how about a router plane, a skew rabbet plane, & perhaps an extra blade for the LA jack (high angle, perhaps)

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchesan View Post
    I already have a LA Block plane, and have ordered a Bad Axe saw and MarkII honing jig and sharpening supplies.
    John, I didn't read that you already have the LA block when I posted before. That being said Tri makes a good point. The router plane is well used in my shop. You may consider that over one of the others you have listed.

You will love the Bad Axe saw. I own two of them with a third on the way. Mark does an absolutely fabulous job on his saws.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.

Blog Entries
    They are all Veritas because I am Canadian and there is a Lee Valley in town and I like to support Canadian companies when I can.
    A wise choice if you ask me.

So here is what I have come up with:
    I am settled on the BU Jointer and Jack and can afford only 2 of the following 4 planes, Small Plow, Skew Rabbet, Skew Block Rabbet, BU Smoother. What two should I buy to do the most quiet working I can?

It is difficult to make a suggestion without knowing how you will be using these. My choices may be totally wrong for you.

With that said, that Skew Block Rabbet does look like it could change my mind about what my next plane purchase could be.

My Stanley 45 is often used as a plow or a rabbet plane. If you are doing a lot of drawers, a plow is a good plane to have. One that can also be put into service as a rabbet plane is a plus.

The jack can be pressed into smoothing work if needed, but eventually you may want a smoother.

Unless you really do not want to fettle old planes, you might find an old Stanley #5 with a slight radius on the blade helpful for taming rough lumber. For use as a scrub plane, there really wouldn't be much to do other than shape and hone the blade, open the mouth if needed and make sure the chip breaker is doing its job.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)