Quote Originally Posted by John Marchesan View Post
They are all Veritas because I am Canadian and there is a Lee Valley in town and I like to support Canadian companies when I can.
A wise choice if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by John Marchesan View Post
So here is what I have come up with:
I am settled on the BU Jointer and Jack and can afford only 2 of the following 4 planes, Small Plow, Skew Rabbet, Skew Block Rabbet, BU Smoother. What two should I buy to do the most quiet working I can?

I already have a LA Block plane, and have ordered a Bad Axe saw and MarkII honing jig and sharpening supplies.
It is difficult to make a suggestion without knowing how you will be using these. My choices may be totally wrong for you.

With that said, that Skew Block Rabbet does look like it could change my mind about what my next plane purchase could be.

My Stanley 45 is often used as a plow or a rabbet plane. If you are doing a lot of drawers, a plow is a good plane to have. One that can also be put into service as a rabbet plane is a plus.

The jack can be pressed into smoothing work if needed, but eventually you may want a smoother.

Unless you really do not want to fettle old planes, you might find an old Stanley #5 with a slight radius on the blade helpful for taming rough lumber. For use as a scrub plane, there really wouldn't be much to do other than shape and hone the blade, open the mouth if needed and make sure the chip breaker is doing its job.

jim