Thread: Bench Finalie - Of "Vice" and Men

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bench Finalie - Of "Vice" and Men

Thanks to great service from Lee Valley and FedEX Ground, the front vice I ordered earlier this week arrived this morning "just in time". So after consuming the morning latté and pastery, I got to work getting it installed. This thread will mark the completion of this little weekend project that started when the Adjust-a-bench system followed me home last weekend from the Ft. Washinton Woodworks show and some preliminary work I did on it yesterday afternoon after a fun-filled morning of conference calls. I'm pleased with the results and look forward to using this bench for many years to come. I may revisit it from a project standpoint in the future should I decide to build a cabinet to replace the tension-rod stringers and provide more formal tool storage.

So, here are today's pictures:
    • Rather than aquire and install a tail vice system right now, I decided to use the Veritas "pups" system for retaining long items on the bench. I can always add the vice in the future if I determine I need it for my work.
    • With the help of Dr. SWMBO, I flipped the top over onto the MFT for the vice installation. I also took the time to remove the lacquer on that side, too, which should reduce the chance of warping. A little BLO like the top recieves will be more than enough to "protect" it and still allow moisture to be released evenly.
    • Marking for the holes. In fact, even with the template, they were not exactly where they needed to be, so a little extra work was necessary to allow for smooth operation of the mechanism.
    • The moving vice face was glued up oversize and only trimmed on the 'Top' initially. By clamping a board under the edge, I could make sure that that surface was even with the benchtop while drilling and scribing the face for final fitting.
    • Once the vice was installed, Dr. SWMBO and I moved the benchtop to the floor so that the base could be reattached. I had to slightly ofset it to clear the vice by "one hole" of the original set. The TDK drill with the right angle attachment came in handy when drilling the additional four holes to complete the mounting.
    Attached Images Attached Images