Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Laguna or Agazzani

  1. #1

    Laguna or Agazzani

    Laguna LT16 bandsaw with a driftmaster fence or Agazzani B-18 bandsaw. Which would you purchase and why?

  2. #2
    Why not include the MM16 in this comparison?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    LA & SC neither one is Cali
    Posts
    9,447
    That is a tough one, the Aggie has its strong points. I didn't think the B-18 was still available if it is what is the price point now? The Aggies are very good but I am not a fan of the guides which I would probably replace. The LT16 is not my favorite Laguna, if you had said LT16HD then it would be the Laguna all the way for me. If I didn't need the added capacity of the B-18 I would take the Laguna for the guides and the fact I could get a Resaw King and DM fence for $100 right now. The MM is also a great saw but Laguna just has something the others don't in the guides and DN fence, of course you could add the DM and Laguna guides to either of the others although it isn't really cost effective f you are buying new.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gottlieb View Post
    Why not include the MM16 in this comparison?
    Why include the MiniMax 16? I looked at it and it is a little more money than I wanted to spend. My choices were the Laguna and the Agazzani

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    8,757
    I think the Driftmaster fence is answer to a question that can be answered a better way. I have an LT16HD. I've cut a lot of wood on the thing - so much that I've worn out four Resaw King blades and one Lennox CT carbide blade on it. Equipped with this kind of blade, the saw just cuts straight ahead. I never consider drift angle. I never measure it, and never adjust for it. I slice veneer with the OEM fence, or with a shop-built taller fence. So if I were you, I'd buy a Lennox CT or Trimaster blade instead of a Driftmaster fence. It will cost you less.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    Laguna LT16 bandsaw with a driftmaster fence or Agazzani B-18 bandsaw. Which would you purchase and why?
    When faced with the same decision as you have I went with the Agazzine B24. Both the Laguna and the Agazzine are in my opinion are fine saws. My decision was based on which company I thought would give me the best after sales support. Over the years there as been to many negative post about Laguna tools for me.

    Jesse at Eagle Tools is very good to work with. Eagle tools did a supper job of crating my band saw for shipment to Alaska. They build a frame, covered it with 1/2 plywood, sealed all the joints with silicone and shipped it laying down on a pallet (just about bullet proof).

    I did break my self imposed rule of not buy anything from Laguna tools and ordered the drift master fence. The fence is very nice.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

    Eagle River Alaska

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    LA & SC neither one is Cali
    Posts
    9,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I think the Driftmaster fence is answer to a question that can be answered a better way. I have an LT16HD. I've cut a lot of wood on the thing - so much that I've worn out four Resaw King blades and one Lennox CT carbide blade on it. Equipped with this kind of blade, the saw just cuts straight ahead. I never consider drift angle. I never measure it, and never adjust for it. I slice veneer with the OEM fence, or with a shop-built taller fence. So if I were you, I'd buy a Lennox CT or Trimaster blade instead of a Driftmaster fence. It will cost you less.

    The easy drift adjustment of the DM fence is only one of its strengths and actually the lesser of the two big ones. The ability to quickly micro-adjust it for slicing veneer is the big deal. I can slice veneer about twice as fast and certainly more accurately with the DM. I would suggest a Lennox Trimaster or Laguna Resaw King as well, the best blades out there for our ussage.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Phoenix AZ Area
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard McComas View Post
    When faced with the same decision as you have I went with the Agazzine B24. Both the Laguna and the Agazzine are in my opinion are fine saws. My decision was based on which company I thought would give me the best after sales support. Over the years there as been to many negative post about Laguna tools for me.

    Jesse at Eagle Tools is very good to work with. Eagle tools did a supper job of crating my band saw for shipment to Alaska. They build a frame, covered it with 1/2 plywood, sealed all the joints with silicone and shipped it laying down on a pallet (just about bullet proof).

    I did break my self imposed rule of not buy anything from Laguna tools and ordered the drift master fence. The fence is very nice.
    Richard, I bought a driftmaster fence and returned it because I couldn't figure out how to rip and wider than about 15" with it. Did I miss something? I recently upgraded from a Laguna LT16HD to a 21" Felder made by ACM. I hated the idea of losing that extra width (which is why I upgraded in the first place).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Spring City, TN
    Posts
    1,537
    I have the Laguna 14" SUV, drift master, resaw king, etc. So far the saw has done very well. It deals with saw dust well, it's fairly easy to change blades and the setup it not to hard. The thing weighs a ton! It took 2 of us with all our strengh to raise it up while it was on it's back for hauling. It cuts very accruate. I like the precision of the drift master, 1 turn is about 1/32", but if you just want to scoot the fence, it disengages the screw with a flip of a lever. I feel the table is a bit low, but havn't compared it to others, but a 6'2", I have to bend over a good bit. I've ran 6' x 6" maple through it and it doesn't even slow down. Not saying it cuts the stuff real fast, but the motor does not even get close to laboring. The design of the saw is surprisingly simple. It looks like many of the parts are hardware store available. Hope this helps....I've had it since August of 09.

  10. #10
    I would choose the Agazzani simply because of the larger wheel diameter. It would be better if you want to run carbide blades. Guides and fences could be changed upgraded in the future. The wheels are another story. I know because I have an MM16 and wish I could run carbide blades with out issue.
    Have had problems with the blade work hardening. Some say they run them all the time with out a problem. My experience has been different. Just my two cents.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    238
    Although I don't have any experience with the Laguna, I purchased an Agazzani B-24 saw last summer from Jesse. Jesse was terrific to work with and really helped me to make my decision and set up the saw correctly. I would also echo the other poster and say that Eagle Tools packs up a bandsaw like no-one else! That crate was completely bulletproof.

    Over the past 9 months, I have been very happy with the saw. Solid as a rock. Has a great table and actually the stock fence isn't bad at all. I haven't messed with the guides and have done quite a bit of resawing with the saw without problems. I looked briefly into the cost of upgrading the guides to Carter models (had them on my last saw) but for $400 it wasn't worth it. I don't think you can go wrong with the Agazzani and I certainly don't regret my purchase.

    Rick
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    Laguna LT16 bandsaw with a driftmaster fence or Agazzani B-18 bandsaw. Which would you purchase and why?
    Not to stir things up, but you might also consider the G0636X from Grizzly. It is heaver than both the Laguna and the Agazzani. I believe it also has a slightly larger resaw height and heavier wheels as well. I have the G0636X and it does everything I want it to do, including slicing razor thin veneer. Just a thought.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Winterville, NC (eastern NC)
    Posts
    1,980
    Satisfied Laguna LT18 owner since August 2001. Not a single problem during that time. I did upgrade the guides to the ceramic guides, as the saws during that period had the standard Euro guides. Would get another one in a heartbeat.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The easy drift adjustment of the DM fence is only one of its strengths and actually the lesser of the two big ones. The ability to quickly micro-adjust it for slicing veneer is the big deal. ....
    I agree that a microadjuster is very useful. But spending $400 for a Driftmaster to get the microadjuster isn't how my budget works. I built a microadjuster to go with the OEM Laguana fence. It cost about ten bucks in parts and an hour of construction time.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Spring City, TN
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I agree that a microadjuster is very useful. But spending $400 for a Driftmaster to get the microadjuster isn't how my budget works. I built a microadjuster to go with the OEM Laguana fence. It cost about ten bucks in parts and an hour of construction time.
    Agree!!! Good news, they will usually throw it in for free or cheap if you buy a saw from them. My saw was on back order and while I was waiting, I caught the driftmaster as a freeby. Even though I bought the saw technically a month earlier, they gave me the sale.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •