Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art pieces, part 2, the inevitable can of worms

Art pieces, part 2, the inevitable can of worms

I'm almost certainly opening a can of worms here but this is a question that comes up occasionally on woodturning forums, usually starting a huge discussion but never really coming to any consensus. What is the difference between art and craft?

I didn't want to hijack this thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=137733 but it is essentially asking that question. In the process of learning to be a better turner, how often have you studied the art side of it. Not the craft, not the use of the tools or sharpening or finishing, but the actual art of making something beautiful? I think it might be the answer to why some work brings in the big bucks.

I'm not a big fan of labels, but they are hard to avoid. Art and Craft, if one must give it a name, always overlap, IMO. It takes technical skill to actually make something, not just 'let it happen' (although there is that); and if something is well made to fit it's purpose, it can't help but be art (again, IMO). That's a short narrative on how I feel about the subject. Tao Te Ching...Jeet Kun Do...ya know?

Curt, I still have a lot to learn about tool technique, but I find the "art" side of turning far more interesting and challenging. I have looked at hundreds of turnings, studying the nuances, trying to get a feel for what most "artists" feel is appealing. Much of it appeals to me, too. But, even the pieces that do not offer something in the way of inspiration for me.

When I swore I would never be interested in turning bowls, I think it was that I couldn't understand turning bowl after bowl - and, honestly, I still can't. I need variety - at least at this point. I do find myself attracted to certain styles of work, and wanting to emulate those styles.

So, to your question - "how often have you studied the art side of it" - daily! Just got through looking at probably 200 turnings, saving copies of some pics in my folders.

Let me add, too, that I think one can be a good craftsman, and certainly not an artist. But, an artist, with a vision, will figure out the craft, i.e., how to accomplish the objective.

I think i fit in there some where making turned firewood.

Much like Keeton I also have a file where I have saved 652(just checked) pictures of shapes people have created. Many of them from this site. Since I don't have all the time in the world I try and learn from looking at these pictures what appeals to me and what doesn't.

Now onto your question. I think everyone will have their own definition of art and craft thus its subjective thus there is no right answer.

well...start with can of worms and what form and finish takes that
    brown worm into undescribeable

It's art if you can get over five grand for it?
    David DeCristoforo

Just a matter of opinion Curt. And most people have some (opinions, that is).
    Richard in Wimberley

It's an interesting but rhetorical question I think.

I think of myself as a craftsman I suppose. I enjoy the process more than the finished piece in most instances(what does that say about my finished turnings?). I enjoy looking at beautiful forms and I occasional turn something I think is beautiful, but for me, it's more about enjoying the process.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    It's an interesting but rhetorical question I think.
    That's pretty much the point I'm trying to make. There really is no answer, at least I don't think there is. I'm a copier. I collect pictures and ideas of things I like, things that grab my attention, and then I try to figure how they did it and make something similar. When I look at my turnings I can attribute something in every one of them to something I've seen somewhere else. But I think it would be interesting to understand more about form and design so that I could create my own original ideas. I've often wondered if that's something a person could be taught or if it's something that is more of a natural gift. Those that have the gift and make the most of it whether it's natural or taught seem to be the ones that also do the work that sells as art, sometimes for a lot of money.

Anthony Yak on Woodnet forums said it best, "If it don't hold soup, it's art."

robo hippy

It is like this

Curt, It is sort of like the chicken and the egg, which came first? Well in a woodturners world what we do is a craft, talent, desire etc. So while we are working on the pieces we create we are crafting them into either a utility piece or a piece that is used for decoration. It matters not the beauty of the piece either to make it an art piece or a great fruit bowl. Some of the old bowls that were made a 100 years ago are now being called "FOLK ART" and command large prices.

So we are all crafters of wood and other materials, the buyer or reciever of the creation will decide if it is art or functional.

Maybe it should be said "Art is in the presentation to the eyes, and perception thereof "

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Have you ever found yourself looking at art pieces to get ideas or at least get a feel for good form? Over the past weekend, we went to an art museum where they had old pottery and a few turned bowls with natural edges. I was studying the pieces to get a feel for the form.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I can (I hope) appreciate artistry. There are several artists frequenting this site and I love looking at their works. I do try to remember the proportions/lines/feel of some of the pieces to improve my own.

But, I am a craftsman. Well, I hope to be a craftsman someday. I really enjoy the fact people use the things I've made. From a design perspective I've always favored function over form (I consider Duluth Trading Co. to be the apex of clothing).

My favorite thought on design, "A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Ridiculum Ergo Sum

From Wikipedia: A craft is a skill, especially involving practical arts. It may refer to a trade or particular art.

Also: Fine art describes an art form developed primarily for aesthetics and/or concept rather than utility.

Without the modifier 'Fine' I think art and craft are nearly identical in meaning, and overlap. However, 'Fine Art', which wood turning is JUST starting to be recognized as, is a different animal entirely.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).